Help please

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Clara3, Oct 22, 2019.

1. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    its not on the psp report. its on the sms report. the safety measurement systems covers everything from violations to crashes. shows the csa points for carrier and driver.

jon69 and LoSt_AgAiN Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    okay like me explain it a little better. say driver A gets pulled over for speeding in a work zone. he gets a violation along with a level 3 inspection. fast forward 60 days. on his psp report it will show the violation, state, road, etc. when you look up the statue code on your violation on the sms chart. it will be 10 csa points x 3 for the first year. the points and violation go to the carriers sms score. the violation goes to the driver. the driver gets no points on his psp only the violation and the level 3 inspection. once a carriers sms score is to high. the fmsca steps in for a intervention. so if your psp report has a lot of violation. then the next company knows how they weight and wont hire you. due to you being a risk

jon69 Thanks this.
  4. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    @Clara3

Any chance you fly to your current job with Schneider?

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    That is exactly what I’ve been saying. The driver gets no points, the carrier does. And when you look at the SMS it has nothing about the driver, only the license information for truck and trailer. The whole point of PSP was to see what a driver has as far as violations but there are no points tied to the driver.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  6. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    @Long FLD this is true

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Please show me anything where points are assigned to the driver and not to the violation that the driver got. There is absolutely nothing in CSA that gives points to drivers. The points are for violations, and they stay with the carrier not the driver. If the driver leaves the violations still show up on the carrier’s SMS when looked up. There is nothing that follows the driver other than the violations they’ve gotten when a new carrier looks at their PSP and I posted above where it clearly states that there are no points associated with the PSP.

And when you look up a carrier on SMS it says nothing about who got the violations listed other than the license plate of the vehicle. Drivers don’t have points, it’s simple as that. Drivers get violations, violations have points, and the motor carrier gets CSA points because of the violations drivers have gotten.

If you can show me where on the FMCSA website it says anything about drivers getting points and those points following the driver from company to company then I’ll concede. But it can’t be done so it’s a moot point. Have a good night.

@ZVar do you have anything to add that I might be leaving out?

8. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    ... While the FMCSA can issue interventions and fines when a driver's CSA score is high, they cannot suspend a driver's CDL.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Correct. PSP is a report only about the driver. CSA is a point/report system assigned to the carrier.
    Like you mentioned SMS gives both a report of the violation, and a point weight. For companies it's 36 months. The first year the point value is 3x, then 2nd year it's 2x and last year its 1x the point weight. One can go to SAFER Web - Company Snapshot and put in comapny name/DOT number to get a snapshot, then click on the SMS link for more detail.

The driver is a report only. Yes some companies convert the report violations into points, but that's 100% company driven and has nothing to do with the PSP report. The violations are for 3 years, while crashes are for 5 years. Here is a sample report from FMCSA. https://www.psp.fmcsa.dot.gov/psp/Documents/PSP_Sample_Report_.pdf

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Socal Xpress and Long FLD Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    No they can't, as there are no points for a driver. DOT can issues citations for a violation yes, but as there are points, there is no way to issue citations based on them.

11. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    He said to please show him something so I did.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.