Help securement: am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by w.h.o, Mar 14, 2019.

1. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    16 feet might not be quite enough for the taller pallets. I cut mine to 20 feet

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    What dry can have 46-48k lbs in it and be legal on the axles?

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I have pulled trailers that had the same issue. I couldn’t even put a portable, so I got creative and just thru a 5/16 chain over pallet similar to yours. Long as it has a securement, it’s legal.

w.h.o and cke Thank this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    When I hauled rail cans out of Chicago, even containers, which weighed a bit more than the Z vans, part of the lease agreement stated we had to be able to scale 48g's. Naturally, if we all drove cabover IH's , that could be done, but I had my large car Pete, and that just didn't fly. I was rarely legal, especially with the chassis's that didn't have sliding axles..

x1Heavy and cke Thank this.
  6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I dunno about you, but I always find it difficult to unload a van trailer from the side. And unless you want to pallet jack everything to the back, (and keep up with the busy forklift monkey) the flatbed is the way to go.

7. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I use those drop in winches pretty often. If there isnt too much excess tail i fold it a few times and let the winch suck one end of the folds in. If theres too much that doesnt work well so i fold it up and... turned perpendicular to the strap... I cinch it under the load so it looks like a T. Whenever i try to tuck the fold wad inline with the strap, it unfurls around 100 miles out.

PoleCrusher, w.h.o and Gumper Thank this.
  8. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I have some short straps that I use the hell out of. I think 8 18’ straps. Great for hauling short stacks like super sacks, or belly straps.

PoleCrusher and cke Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Well shortening is one thing, two is you have the winch upside down. It should pull it up into pocket, which will use another 6 inches of strap.

10. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    My last truck(09 VNL780) with a newer 53 lightweight van could scale 46.8k
    these company trucks get 48k+ quite often, ask any of them that haul beer...
    Dart spec'd their fleet and lease trucks with a 70" sleeper, d11, and super singles.
    They were something like 17k topped off with fuel, 30k with trailer and able to scale dang near 50k

11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    I have those same stake pocket winches (which i love BTW). And I do one of three things depending on the load and where the strap is laying.

1. i'll fold up the tail just like a normal winch and trap it between that bar (above the actual round part of the winch) and the under tension part of the strap.

2. I'll fold up the tail and put it up against the product and between the product and the under tension part of the strap.

3. fold up the tail and bungie it. Least favorite but esp loads that are wider and/or tall there's really no real way to trap the folded tail.

w.h.o Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.