Help something is thumping.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Amram, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    I was going down the road and noticed my oil pressure jumped up to 110 psi and then there was a lound thumping coming from the engine bay. I coasted to the rest area 1000ft ahead of me and got on the offramp. With the clutch pushed in whatever it was still was thumping even with the engine turned off. It was a perfect rhythm. I came to a complete stop and it stopped. When turn engine on oil pressure still up near 90. When engine is off the oil gage is reading almost 60. Im so lost and upset right now. Just had this thing at Volvo last week.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Oil level on the dipstick is normal. Oil looks clean and amber. No bubbles or milk.

4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Was it still thumping with the engine off and you were rolling? I would get out and check the tires

5. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Yeah it was. My tires are good. I think I tore a U-joint. But that oil pressure has me worried as well. Truck revs and idles smooth. Clutch engagement is smooth. Trans goes in and out of gear good.

6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    The gauge might be something in the cluster, my fuel gauge quit working a couple weeks ago just out of the blue.

So I would look at all the tires and the driveline to see what the thumping was. Look at your tires very close you may have a tread separating

That happened to me one time I couldn’t pull over fast enough and get the truck stop before the steer tire blew out

7. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    It started earlier tonight when I made a right turn on to a slightly raised roadway from an incline. Truck was tweaked a little bit. Next thing I know the rig is vibrating like my wheel is about to come off or like I had a flat tire. I got out and looked. Saw nothing. Got back in and started rolling again. the vibration was gone. But I had a slight groaning noise coming from somewhere. It wasn't constant. Just a pierodic groan. Got stopped. At my trailer swap point. Sat for 3hrs waiting on the other guy. Started back up and oil pressure was high. Then got 5 miles up the road and the thumping started.

8. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Are these supposed to look like this?

Attached Files:

9. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Found my problem.

Attached Files:

KB3MMX, kemosabi49 and Hulld Thank this.
  10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    glad you found it.
    As I was reading the thread I was thinking carrier bearing and was going to post it but you found it first.
    The oil pressure issues is not related obviously and most likely a gauge problem because it still registers when the engine isn’t running.

11. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Yeah. I am going to replace the oil pressure sensor. See what that does. Here in a bit once landstar gets someone here to repower this load I am gonna get under the truck with my electric impact hammer and remove this drive shaft and bearing. My friend is coming to take it to his shop to put a new bearing on.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.