Help! Stuck in Seattle-Rear end gone!

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by BridgettAnn, May 13, 2012.

1. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I would think if the dealership that did the wheel seals forgot to put oil in, you would have some serious damage to the spindles, racers, bearings, and most likely cooked seals again, 2 weeks without oils is a long time. When a dealership replaced the wheel seals on mine, they only added roughly a quart of oil to each side.

BridgettAnn Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BridgettAnn

BridgettAnn Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Allen Park, Mi
    They charged for 6 quarts (=12 pints). Is that enough to fill the diff? The mechanic in sioux city spent 8 hours on the replacement of 2 wheel seals. The bill was $1145.00 for that alone.

~BridgettAnn

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    6 quarts will fill a chevy differential. But not an eaton

BridgettAnn Thanks this.
  5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I would be keeping a close eye on that receipt and maybe talk to an attorney.

Get a statement from the current shop as to the capacity of the rear end.

MNdriver and BridgettAnn Thank this.
  6. BridgettAnn

Jul 5, 2011
    Allen Park, Mi
    Yes. This is what the KW dealership here in Seattle said. there was damage to the spindles,racers and bearings. I'm not sure about the seals. However, when we had the wheel seals replaced two weeks ago, there was oil EVERYWHERE. When my husband asked if it was odd that both wheel seals went out at the same time, the mechanic said the breather cap might have been clogged.. but it turned out that it wasn't.

~BridgettAnn

7. vangtransport

Apr 14, 2009
    They shouldn't have to fill the whole diff, unless someone requested that they drain the whole diff. All they have to fill is what's lost during changing of the seals. Search for your rear end and pics of it in pieces and you will see. You more than likely would have had the wheel end fall off. I paid around $900 with all new pads for both sides.
    Here is a reference pic, the bowl is lower than the axle, that bowl holds allot of oil.

http://www.crestfleet.com/mdepc/img/05/MD05-007.jpg

BridgettAnn Thanks this.
  8. vangtransport

Apr 14, 2009
    When they pull the wheels & brakes off they will be able to tell how hot it got, take pictures of it if the seals and such if they are showing excessive heat.

BridgettAnn Thanks this.
  9. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    If the tech "filled" the diff with 6 qts, then that's entirey possible. If all this shop drained out was this much or less, someone dropped the ball or you had best have had a reason for 4the gallons of 80W90 disappearing.

Either way, some should be paying for a rearend and it's not you.

10. BridgettAnn

Jul 5, 2011
    Allen Park, Mi
    Well, We'll go back to the dealer in the morning and plead our case. Don't know how far we'll get with all of this. But 6K is a hefty bill. The service manager "claims" that the oil on the rear of the front housing is indicative of of a long slow leak. He said "that's been leaking for quite a while". He explained it like this: "the oil drips out drip by drip. you don't see oil anywhere because it hits the shield and then dust hits it and any drips go directly onto the ground". When we asked why there was no drip on the ground during pre and post trips, he said "because it only drips when it is moving". Doesn't make sense to me. Once that "seal" has been compromised, and there is an opening for a drip, why would it just stop when the truck is not moving? Can't wrap my brain around this at all.
    Thanks for all of your input.
    ~BridgettAnn

11. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    Because he's feeding. You a line of bovine excrement

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.