Help tracking down air leak

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Hanadarko, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    NAPA had them. I had to convince the guy to look though...

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    That's the hot ticket. Best little bit of money you spent on that truck lately!

4. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Did you buy some extras to through in the tool box just in case you need them latter on??

5. Hanadarko

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Yup...2 more..

Ok..fixed that. No more leak there...

WAIT WHATS THIS?? - new leak..new hiss?! - OK, so maybe while this 1st thing was bad, it wasnt the entire story.

Next up? - the alum manifold to the LEFT of this one. It has a ton of GREEN (Secondary) hoses going to it. On the bottom is what looks like a pressure unit with a few wires going to it. It is leaking at the manifold. Got a wrench in there and finally got it out. Cleaned the threads and will re-install and see if I can tighten it up. It was a bit loose as it was. Didnt take much effort to remove.

:biggrin_25521:

..Anyone wanna buy a rig CHEAP!?

6. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Green is primary air.

7. Hanadarko

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    OOPS.

Well, I put the thingy back in...and the threads no longer leak bubbles.
    In fact, I have sprayed the #### out of all of the fittings and threads and hoses I can find and I still hear this leak.

My best guess is this electric pressure unit on the GREEN block at the lower right.
    I cant tell for sure. I have soaped up ALL of these 'wired' things and ran my fingers around them and NO bubbles but I hear air escaping from something... I took a piece of tubing (to act like a stethoscope) and it APPEARS that the sound gets louder when I go near this ELECTRIC thing on the green block:

[​IMG]

Whatever it is..IS intermittent. Most of the time when you press in the tractor parking brake valve - you hear this HISS but sometimes (2 out of 8 times) you dont. I think if I had a leaking hose at this point, it would ALWAYS leak and keep leaking.

What do I do next?

8. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Brake lamp switch.

9. Hanadarko

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    So the thing with the 2 white wires and 1 green wire is the brake light switch?

I suspect that is the cause, but not sure and getting tired of not finding this. At least the fittings I changed WERE leaking but that was not the main cause of any of this HISS...

:biggrin_25521:

How does this switch work? - I had thought the manifold was always pressurized. If not, that might start to explain things perhaps.

10. Bent Wrench

Bent Wrench Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Cornholio, OR
    If the green hoses are primary air that switch would probably be the low air warning for primary side. (it looks like it's wired in parallel with the switch on the orange (sec?) side) Jumper the switch and see what happens?

11. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    That is the primary low air warning switch. The brake lamp switches are in center.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.