Help understanding dot regulations

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Thetrashnoob, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    I’ve done some research on this subject but the more I read the more confused I get.
    I started a dumpster rental business with a under cdl truck. (I’m the owner and only driver)
    I registered for a dot number and from my research since it is under cdl I don’t need to do drug testing, I just need a dot card since it’s over 10,001#s so I am working on getting the card this week. Since I got my dot number my phone has been blowing up saying how I’m out of compliance and I have an Audit in 30 days. I understand those are all pretty much spam calls
    But what exactly do I need to stay in compliance? Anything specific?
    do I need a log book?
    Keep repair logs? Etc?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Wait until the fake calls come in saying one of your trucks just ran them off the road and want something to not report you the cops or insurance when you are the only driver and truck and are 200 miles away from the incident. Lol!

You may need med card and log if driving outside the air miles.
    Yes keep all repair and maintainance receipts.
    Does your state require an environmental water and air quality permit # of any kind to operate a “refuse or recycle” type business? Texas does.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    staying within the air miles so no log needed.
    Med card is needed so I am working on getting that this week.
    As far as I know no permit is needed.
    A few places have emailed me saying that I need a drivers qualification file in my state, I have to look that up to see if it’s true or not. But just want to make sure I have everything.

5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    One source of information that could help you, is your state trucking association. They have people that work with this stuff all the time.

wis bang Thanks this.
  6. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    I will have to look into that, one thing that I’m trying to confirm but I cannot seem to find to confirm is the fire extinguisher requirements. The truck I purchased has a 2.5lb mounted outside of the cab. Is that legal? Or does it need to be inside the cab? And a 2.5lb or a 5?

7. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    2.5 is all you need in the cab by regulation. However I recommend you carry a 5 lb or two extra if you have space in a storage box and easy to get at. That little 2.5 is just required to show that you at least tried to put out the fire. 99.9999% of the time that you may use it will be on someone elses vehicle because their little 2.5 wasn’t enough.

Someone used to make a neat little yellow plastic basket that mounted on the floor next to and behind the drivers seat that would hold a 5 lb. upright. I have one that is probably 45 years old in my Pete. I have not seen another one like it in years. I also keep a 2.5 mounted in the battery box of every truck I can fit one in. What can I say. I’m like fire marshall Bill. Lol!

8. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    Thanks, I thought it was 2.5, I called a place that sells fire extinguishers looking for one and the said dot only makes 5lb ones but I didn’t think that was right. I guess I’ll have to figure out how to mount it inside the cab, not sure how they didn’t have any issues having it outside the cab. I certainly want to add an extra one Incase something does catch.

9. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Fleetpride and truckpro have the extinguishers, triangle sets, and sometimes the fussee style flares in stock.

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Driver qualification file,
    Maintenance file / program
    Annual DOT inspection sticker on the truck.
    Safety file
    Fortunately, your exempt from all the CDL stuff like drug testing.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The reason you aren't finding much is DOT doesn't regulate by the weight, they regulate by the rating.
    1. There is no location requirement except "readily accessible for use". That to me means outside is fine as long it it doesn't get rusty. It must work after all...
    2. DOT doesn't state the lb of an extinguisher. They got a coverage and type rating. For hazmat it's 10 B:C or more.and non-hazmat is 5 B:C or more. Some 2.5 lbs's are rated as 5B:C, some 5 lbs are 'just' rated at 5B:C too.

Here it the letter of the regs.

§393.95 Emergency equipment on all power units.
    Each truck, truck tractor, and bus (except those towed in driveaway-towaway operations) must be equipped as follows:

(a) Fire extinguishers—(1) Minimum ratings. (i) A power unit that is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity that requires placarding (See §177.823 of this title) must be equipped with a fire extinguisher having an Underwriters' Laboratories rating of 10 B:C or more.

(ii) A power unit that is not used to transport hazardous materials must be equipped with either:

(A) A fire extinguisher having an Underwriters' Laboratories rating of 5 B:C or more; or

(B) Two fire extinguishers, each of which has an Underwriters' Laboratories rating of 4 B:C or more.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.