help with my CB

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by jrouzaut, Mar 18, 2019.

1. jrouzaut

jrouzaut Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Hi There, I have a cobra 29NW with dual firestik 4ft antenna's. Very short range radio works fine, short range meaning in sight. With the built in SWR meter I am registering about 1.5 ish with it being slightly higher on channel 1 than 40. I tried it with a seperate SWR meter and it is registering over 3. I have it temporarily grounded with 12 guage automotive wire until grounding straps come in the mail. The antenna's are mounted to a back rack on an aluminum pickup bed. 2017 F-250. Can anybody tell me which meter to believe and help with range?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. YMItrucking

YMItrucking Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2016
    If I'm not mistaken, co phase antennas need to be 9' apart. Try using just one of the antennas and tune it.

4. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Are you using a Co-phase coax harness? Have to use 75ohm coax cable to make it work...Second, on a pick-up there's no way your going to get the correct spacing for co-phased antennas.

rabbiporkchop and jrouzaut Thank this.
  5. jrouzaut

jrouzaut Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Using the co phase 18ft cable that came with the antenna's as a kit. I wonder if you can use the co phase cable and just connect one antenna, I read somewhere a minimum of 5ft apart.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    no you have to have a load on both ends of the coax. I would just get a length of coax - anything over say six feet with end on it and hook up just one antenna to see what it is doing.

7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Yes to be at its best but i have been told it will "work" if closer together..When i do stuff i dont like it to just "work",but thats me.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I've run a pair of antennas 102" apart with excellent results. I've heard 108" would be better. If ground potential is equal, I tune both elements simultaneously. If I tune one, and then the other, they usually end up being too short when the second one is added.

Night Stalker10 Thanks this.
  9. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

From what I understand the way you mentioned, is the correct way to tune Co-phased antennas. You treat both antenna as if they are one antenna. If you trim a quarter inch off one antenna, you need to trim a quarter inch off the other one. Basically the same principle as tuning a dipole antenna.

10. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I just use separate single coax and tune each antenna singly. SWR is fine once installed into co-phase setup.

11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    That only works if the ground potential is equal between both antennas. If one of them has a bad ground it's going to drive you nuts trying to figure out the problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.