Help with truck orientation

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by rider10099, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Tarpitall

Tarpitall Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IL
    Personally, I think the original poster is right on in his logic. Here's the thing-you can go out and spend 50 K on a nice new 1 ton diesel pickup, and it will do the job adequately enough. Or you can spend 15 K on a decent older class 8 truck, have an in-frame engine rebuild done, and fix whatever else needs fixing, and still be money ahead. Then, you have more than enough breaking power, pulling power, a sleeper, tons of room, big fuel tanks, ect.

Like the poster said, he will probably get equal, and maybe better fuel mileage with a class 8. A 1 ton pulling that much weight is working really hard all the time. A class 8 is in its sweet spot.

OP says he's from Oregon. That means Rocky Mtn driving. That class 8 will really reduce the pucker factor going up and down those passes.

By the way, he does NOT need to get a CDL (even though it is > 26,000) unless he plans on using this rig in some sort of income producing venture. However, I do recommend hooking up with your local community college truck driving program. Most are flexible, and can custom design a short course for odd situations.

Enjoy the RV and drive safe!

rider10099 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rider10099

rider10099 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2010
    portland oregon
    Thanks for your comments - you are right on in everything you say. One of the locals shops (where I will have regular mte done Volvo work done) is going to go through the truck with me, so I am not missing things to check. I have been around vehicles all my life just no commercially. Even though Oregon law allows me to drive the truck without special endorsements (it is registered as an RV) I do want to know more about the air brake system.
    Cheers
    John

PS when the semi pulling 80000 pounds passes you going up hill you know you are underpowered and although I was always able to stop my truck it was always a worry, so I have a big smile driving the volvo

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.