Help with truck spec

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by hannafarms, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Look at a T880.......with the 62” flattop it’s pretty nice inside.

hannafarms Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hannafarms

hannafarms Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Currently running a t880 at the company I’m at it’s a smaller bunk definitely smaller than 62 but I love it! I never scale so no idea what she weighs full of fuel. Thanks tho I do like them forsure.

4. hannafarms

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Lol yup very true

5. hannafarms

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    It’s not an awful company or anything like that. It was pretty good except my last load left a bad taste in my mouth.
    First the good-
    -Majority of Equipment was pretty decent just not the right specs for the work done.
    -Dispatch was good I loved my dispatcher Jodi she was nice friendly and great at her job always got me home.
    -Ben the recruiter was the most honest guy ever didn’t hide anything and we are still friends to this day.

Now the bad
    -We were told fridges and tv in all trucks but at the time I was there that wasn’t true I had no fridge or tv in my truck
    -trailer I got was literally the oldest in the fleet lot of product would stick
    -there was never any washing out between loads, normally I didn’t care most of the time but I would haul broken glass and then the next load would be wet ddgs for cattle that was just so wrong
    -the safety guy was a total ### and new nothing about trucking but was buddies with the owner that’s how he
    -the owner is a biz man not a down to earth man of the trucker
    -again the trucks were spec’d as if it were an Otr dry van or refer. Super singles, no lockers, automatics, trailer skirts etc. it was just about fuel mileage. We went to mason city cement plant with clay a lot personally I’d go twice a week. Not sure you ever been there but it sucks. And with our trucks we would get stuck or just sit and spin nearly every time especially if it had rained at all.
    -the pay was not the greatest for Otr. Most weeks I’d make less than $1000. To get the 3% extra your truck has to make $4000 and then the next load or loads you get 3% more but I think I got it maybe once. Usually I’d hit 4K delivering my last load for the week.
    -My last awful load! Now I quit because I had a child at home that became very ill and I needed to go back to driving local to be there. On my last load which I wasn’t even supposed to have because I needed to get back to the terminal because I had a rental car ordered for the next morning. They gave me a 13/ton Load which is not even worth it. The place I loaded had no scale and loaded from above your trailer opening big bin with jaws. You were supposed to watch gauges and wave at the guy to close the gates when close. I waved like crazy he finally shut it. I knew I was way way over. I asked can I dump some off they had no place to dump and wouldn’t let me. I called dispatch cause I knew there was a scale in route. They told me the route to take to try and bypass the scale. Well at 11pm on a side road near scale a state trooper pulled me over cause he knew I was on that road to get around scale. He made me follow him to the scale and I was over 8k on my rear. So I had to sit there until tomorrow when one of our trucks came and I shoveled alone 8000lbs from my trailer into his. My ticket was $1,600 for bypassing scale and over weight. After missing my last day date, shoveling and such they wouldn’t pay the ticket for me!
    Sorry so long but there’s my story iv had worse at other companies but that last load definitely was bs!

CorsairFanboy, motocross25 and Smut Thank this.
  6. hannafarms

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Back to the topic at hand I’m looking for more detailed answers like gear ratio, axle weights, horse power, wheelbase

7. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Oh wow!! Well thanks for taking the time to share. I was always wondering what the real scoop was. And you’re right about Mason City. I’ve seen you guys stuck there a few times. Hell we have trouble there and we have duals, manual transmissions and can lock everything in. Jodi the dispatcher tho is real nice. I loaded at the clay pit in Mexico and Hippie gave me numbers on the BOL that didn’t match what my dispatcher gave me. They had me call in and get it figured out what we needed on our bill as well as theirs, and she was super cool and helpful.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  8. hannafarms

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Oh hippie that guy is awesome he was still a driver when I was there. That guy and his shorts and sandals slopping around in a dirty end dump hilarious. Such a helpful guy tho he would do anything for anyone. So who do you drive for?

9. hannafarms

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Bein
    I’m guessing bones since your in Kansas but maybe not?

10. JT5

JT5 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2021
    Well good luck on anything light. Smog trucks are heavy period. If I was going over the road with a dump, I would look at an older truck and build what I wanted. I did that. ended up with a light weight rig that rides and drives nice. I run Iowa, Neb and KS primarily. So I own a 2010 Pete with a 450hp Cummins, 13 sp with 3:55 rears. Keeps that Cummins around 15-1600 rpm. Good on fuel, easy on truck parts. My friend Jason has a 379 Pete with a Cat and and 18 and 3:55 rears. Both of us are around 30,800 empty. 39' East's or with our 50' hoppers. I work mine hard, and very few issues. Both of us have reg Pete air leaf, don't need to worry about height. I run a fixed 5th wheel, saves weight. Delco batteries, just 3, they weigh less than other brands. We both run Michelin wide base singles all around. 12,600 steer axle, 13,600 Link pusher, 40,000 lb rears. No lockers either of us. I'm a 262 WB it seems to work well with most of the scales I weigh on. The end dumps are on 10'2" spreads, the Hoppers are 50 footers, 84" sides on triples. The new trucks are nice, but I ended up with a comfortable ride, lightweight workhorse, with a fresh motor, rebuilt tranny, new drop ends, all new tires, brakes, driveline with a 2 year warranty for $68,000. Your gonna look at $140,000 and up and not be able to haul any where near as much as we do. I would think twice about new.

Itsbrokeagain and CorsairFanboy Thank this.
  11. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Is the warranty on parts? Did you take your truck to one shop or had to go to different places?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.