Help with Volvo VNL780 A/C

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Rustywolf, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Pianoman777

Pianoman777 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2016
    My front blower motor just quit i have a 2016 vnl 780 does it have a fuse, that would be my first choice i know where the fusebox is just cant seem to locate the right number for the blower motor

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jinmyb

Jinmyb Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Its your climate control dash module.

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    is the fan stopping..?
    Or is the air going to the floor/ defroster...

5. hyperion127

hyperion127 Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2013
    2013 Volvo 780 D13 engine. Cab AC not blowing as cold as it should. Also, sleeper blower sometimes sounds like it's going full blast but almost no airflow. Did notice icing a section of sleeper berth unit.

Found low and high ports in engine compartment. Sounds like it's easy matter to add refrigerant to the system using the low port. Not sure what if anything needs to be done with high port. For adding refrigerant, what is best to use and any ideas how much? Just low side, high side, or both?

Regarding sleeper unit, vent control could have been frozen stuck. Once thawed it seems to work like it should. Is more refrigerant needed for this system too?

Many thanks!

6. hillbillyj2013

hillbillyj2013 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Missouri
    I'm having the same issue all fuses r good no leaks new compressor n it is full of freon had a certified ac mechanic do it but the clutch still won't engage any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated

7. hillbillyj2013

hillbillyj2013 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Missouri
    I have a 2007 volvo 670 D12 having the sane issues it has a compressor n professionally filled n tested for leaks fuses r good but the clutch still will not engage any help would be greatly appreciated

8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    when the compressor was replaced did they use the little PIGTAIL wire plug that came with the new compressor…? volvo changed the replacement compressor on the older trucks over to the newer type of compressor. the only thing is the newer ones don't work in the older trucks without the pigtail installed inline.. it flips 2 of the wires that control the clutch

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    could be the dash controls or the flappers in the heater box
    how often do you change the filter in the back.... sounds like the it has dirt build up blocking it.. the dirt get wet then freezes

NEVER EVER try to do anything with the high pressure side... if you could hook a can of Freon to it it would blow up in your hand.... the only side you add to is the LOW SIDE and follow how the can saids to do it.... IF the system is empty it will take about 3.5 lb... the system will not work right if it's to low or to high

you only have one a/c system... to have 2 sets of controls 1 for the temp in the front and 1 for the temp in back but it's still just one system...

10. BIGBOYTRUCKER

BIGBOYTRUCKER Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2016

11. BIGBOYTRUCKER

BIGBOYTRUCKER Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2016
    What was the problem? Was it the climate control dash module?

12. RoadtoEmmaus

RoadtoEmmaus Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2014
    In my case I had the blower go strong then dwindle out after about 10 min. I would shut it off, wait about 2 min, then put the fan back to 2 or 3 position and I would get a nice freezing wind blasting in my face. Then same thing, the blower would just sputter out and no cold air would come through.

So I changed out the blower fan housing, $166 at the dealer. But when I took out the old one, I noticed that attached to it, there is a sensor. So I looked up information on this sensor, (see pic). Apparently this sensor is also a "switch". If it detects that the evaporator is going to freeze, it will shut the ac off. Well if the sensor goes bad or is starting to go bad, it will send all kinds of false signals to the computer and you can also get cold then warm air. Its a real mess.

20190706_154211.jpg So I changed it out. $63 at dealer. So NOW the blower is strong constant all day on any setting, no issues. BUT now the AC blows cold but not super cold the way it was. The bunk air is freezing when set to lowest temp but Cab now is just cool to mildly cold on lowest setting. 20190706_153939.jpg 20190706_154010.jpg

Any ideas?

flood Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.