Help with Weight limits

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by moev, Aug 7, 2019.

1. moev

moev Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Texas
    Alright you big time over the road super truckers, I need some advice on how much weight I can carry, but here the thing I’m not a super road driver like some of you, my question is for someone that has a 40ft gooseneck and Ram 3500 like I have. The GCWR of my ram 31000 and the 40ft goosenecks has 2-12k axels and it has a sticker on it that states not to exceed 14,500 lb.
    Now here’s the deal I scaled my truck and trailer with all equipment and full tanks etc at a CAT scale and I came out 20,400lbs.
    Q. Can some one tell me and if possible provide me some proof of how much weight I can carry?
    From what I have been told by individuals is 11,600lbs is my gross and I can’t believe that, why do I need 12k axels? HELP PROFESSIONALS PLEASE!! There a pic of my rig

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    What does the stickers say on your truck/ and trailer for maximum GVWR?

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    And what is the trailer weight?

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    what I would do is, go to the local DMV or "Chicken house" and ask them.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Weigh your axles also empty Their is a rating on your dually axle that may be the most important. All are of course. There should be axle limits for the truck alone listed as well as the total GVWR. The trailer adds to your truck axle obviously You know the trailer already

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

Technically the 14,500lb max load weight of the trailer shouldn't be exceeded. In New York I had a smarter than your average bear statey compair my BOL weights to that very same sticker on my gooseneck. Luckily I was under. That's what we get when buying goosencks under FET tax at 26,000lb or less. A low weight capacity sticker.

So your legal will 14,500, unless that sticker falls off.. ;)

Other than that, dont exceed the GVWR of the combo, or any axle, tire, hitch, & coupler ratings. Your truck is 14Klb GVWR, guessing your trailer is between 24,000-25,999lb. So tag it for 38-40k lbs.

That 31000 GCVWR is just some B.S. from Ram to get it through their warranty period with minimal cost to the manufacturer.. It is not stamped nor stickered anywhere on the vehicle..

I also just noticed you have a shocker coupler. Those are only rated to like 24k lbs., or used to be.? That could be a limiting factor as well..

Good luck.. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And there are many of us who are not super truckers. You can clear that from your thinking.

Just a encouraging thought.

FlaSwampRat and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If your trailer is designed for 14,500 lbs. That may includes the weight of your trailer.

Find out what the weight of your trailer is and minus that from 14,500.

I'd also call dodge to find out what your towing capacity is. If you don't know that or have the specs for it. They can tell you by looking up the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Your engine, transmission, and rear ends all have a determining factor in towing capacity.
    8 speed autos can tow more then 6 speeds.
    Smaller rear ends can tow more then larger rear ends.
    Gas vs. diesel.

I've been looking at the new dodge trucks and pricing to build.

I

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  10. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Again it is important to ask this question .... what does the trailer weigh?

Without it, you can't come up with a gross weight of what you can haul.

Others are going around the barn on this ....

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have to correct my posts, you need to know the weight of both the truck and the trailer separately.

Grumppy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.