here we ago again, local driver log book question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by soon2betrucking, Jun 22, 2013.

1. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    ok, iv posted about something this a while back, cant find, posting again cause now I have a bigger problem.

I run local in Ga. we NEVER go even close to the 100 air radius from the yard, 50 MAX!

my company safety department tells us to log this way,
    (Their example, and remember he specified it as an example)
    " in a 8 hour shift, you must start with a VI, 15 mins and flag it, show 4 consecutive hours driving, and 4 consecutive hours On Duty Not Driving "

last week I got pulled on the scale, red light, DOT came out and asked for my log book, handed him the log, told to park and bring in all ppw, k, so I go inside hand him everything, and he proceeds to tell me that my book is wrong, that I can not just randomly log drive time or ODND time, that if the company is requiring me to keep a log, I have to actually log it as I do it, just as being otr.... k
    so I call safety, explain to him that DOT told me NO, that's illegal, that's a FALSIFIED log, doing it the company way, and Mr Saftey tells me that the cop is 100% wrong! and that problem with dot cops today is that their are soo many uneducated dot officers out there.

so, in short, iv got my company telling me that I have to do it their way, and iv got a DOT officer telling me that's a falsified logbook,
    who do I believe? my gut is telling to side with the cop, hes the one that can cost me a lot of money, even my cdl,

a quick over view of my local, and logging,
    me, and my co-workers do so many pick up, deliveries, drop n hooks, all within the same area, lots of times the p/u are side by side or directly acoss the street,
    so, really, we cant show actual log book time, in incriments of 15/mins cause how close each stop is....

im gonna either start just showing line 4 all day while clocked in, or im gonna keep the log book out of the truck, and in my personal car, and keep just the fmcsa vehicle inspection report book every day...

im just wanting to know who is right, and who is wrong...... the company, or the DOT officer, who, btw, didn't give me a ticket for my log cause legally as local I don't need a log.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jace

Jace Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like your company needs a work sheet, not a log book, just to show your pick ups and drop offs. I contract for the post office and that's what we do, when not on a specific route. Sorry, but you're company is doing it wrong. Not just the log book thing, just in general.

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Maybe keep 2 log books, one for DOT & one for the company? I ran local briefly & the company had me log the same way your company is telling you. I didn't care, because I knew that local stuff wasn't for me anyway.

I was joking about the 2 log books; those days are long gone.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Sounds like Mr.Safety got hired from off the streets.Listen to the DOT log it as you go.

6. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    Yes your company is wrong, as long as you and your company meet all the 100 air mile rules you do not need a log book, I believe that they still make a 100 air mile or local log book as I used one along time ago. Instead of a graph it had a A.M. start,stop time a lunch start,stop time and a P.M. start,stop time along with your unit # and miles and your name and company name. or as Jace said, use a time sheet with all company names towns and in and out times per stop, I've done that also.......

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    RickG Thanks this.
  7. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    Sounds like a office newbreeder LOL.....

8. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Some of these so called "safety" employees are just jokes! I'd listen to the D.O.T every time,bc nothing matters except what they WANT to find and ticket you for. If you have to deal with the same scales,and same bears everyday....there's your answer. Safety employee has no horse in the race.

RickG Thanks this.
  9. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    thanks for the replies guys.
    I often run through this scale, both directions, some weeks ill hit them 4 times, other weeks, maybe only once, but their are 10 of us local guys, and everyday at least one of us are going through,
    and not to mention, our DOT score is not good right now, due to log book violations, seat belt violations, and speeding, which gets me, cause our whole fleet, OTR-local, are gvnd at 65.
    the COO who implemented the rule that local's have to keep a log book was supposed to be in town this week, but things came up, and will visit a nother time.
    the safety man has been with the company for a long time, and recently got moved to the head safety guy, and so far, I have doubts about his position as safety, he also said that if im givin a ticket for loging the company way, they would pay it....:biggrin_25523:

I think when mr coo shows up, im gonna have to highly suggest we use an actual Local drivers log book, I believe they have lines 1 and 4.. plus other important information as well ( the usual stuff trk/trl/miles/start/finish blah blah )

we argued a little bit about it, and I told the safety man that I was not comfortable doing it the company way, and my worry was the DOT, and high dollar tickets, and other possible actions against me and my livelihood, cdl.

we do keep a sheet, for each rout, pick up, delivery, d&h, shows our start time for THAT trip, start miles, end miles, end trip, lunch when and where, break downs when and where, amount of freight p/u - delivered, vehicle ID #'s, names of shipper/receiver, arrive times, depart times and so on, its a list, however that's only for each time we leave the yard, not for the whole entire day.
    one of the other drivers said he got pulled in, same scale, asked for his log book, and he said that he didn't have one, I assume that hes lucky the dot didn't ask him for his vehicle inspection report, which is part of the log book, that's one reason I keep an actual log as of right now,
    cause if your not keeping a log, you have to have a vehicle inspection report correct?

im not trying to sound like a cry baby, or complain, im just worried that I could damage my cdl, my record, and not have to spend any money on tickets that could mount up id imagine....

as for keeping 2 logs, that's just out of the question, plain and simple.

10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    If you never leave the radius and only work 8 hours, you don't need a log book, period.

But yes, the way your company wants you to do it is wrong. Seems like your safety department is ran by a bunch of idiots.

Marksteven and MNdriver Thank this.
  11. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    Ditto.. I havent logged in 17 years, none of our local peddle drivers fill out logs.

Ghost Ryder Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.