hey brokers, has elogs changed business/rates etc?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by freightwipper, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    When your under contract elogs do not help you. Period.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Most contract freight is run by big carriers who have had elogs for years. But I hear you loud and clear. Obviously elogs have constrained supply at a moment when it was already insufficient.

4. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Many small carriers do most of the contract freight. And they can not drop and hook, or repower everyday to make the delivery schedules.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You're assuming that only people turning 4,000-5,000 solo miles a week would have an impact and them being a small percentage of truckers the impact will be minimal. The impact is from everyone out here. Most people on paper logs out here losing 5 hours to delays at a shipper would lose sleep to beat a delivery cut off the very next day. With EOBR that's not happening and that very scenario is ordinary every day trucking. It happens to just about every reefer and van driver about once a week if not more. It has nothing to do with a person running 4,000 miles a week. So pretty much everyone out here was "running dirty" on a weekly basis. EOBR is compounding this.

6. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    As a whole for Van and Reefer it is

7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

To your second paragraph-
    How will they stay in business if they dont ship product because they feel the trucking needs to be cheaper than their product cost?
    As a comparison: dirt is worth next to nothing & it still costs money to truck it. $85-135 an hour for a triaxle dump truck to haul $50 worth of product. People still sell dirt tho, n people still buy it too.

What are their other options? Let the product rot in the field/on a dock/in a warehouse? That doesn't sound profitable to me: but I'm in trucking not in produce.

Prices have to go up to reflect cost increases. The cost isn't the same therefore the price goes up.

All you can really do is kick it back to the customer that the rate they were paying doesn't buy enough trucking to move it at this point, n push for more.

Kind of one of those things; you don't have control over the thing, it just is. All you can do is adapt to the current situation, and when it changes again adapt again.

All this talk of rates being high makes me pine for more opportunity: I haven't raised my rates in 2 years.

8. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Well then I need a raise.

W900AOwner and freightwipper Thank this.
  9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    This is just my kind of load. I would call with my rate and stick to it. I've made a lot of money doing the loads no one else will even call on. My rate reflects the circumstances and I don't win many of them but I definitely give them my number$. Probly did 10 or so loads like this last year on 100 called on. Those 10 loads probly reflect %20 of my yearly revenue out of 230 loads for the year?

spyder7723 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  10. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    It's really equipment dependent. My van freight? Smoking through the roof. Open deck is a little less so, but still up. It's kind of all over the place right now, and I'm not sure where it's going to settle. There's a lot of, "Well, let me find you a guy," going on right now.

11. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    You have paper I presume? Or flexible elogs?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.