Hey Drivers

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by BDSmithTrucking, Mar 29, 2019.

1. BDSmithTrucking

BDSmithTrucking Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Hey all,

I've been hovering over everyone's shoulders here for about a year now. Lurking in the forums, reading here and there but never signing up. I figured I'd take the plunge today and introduce myself.

Trucking really just fell into my lap last year out of the blue. I was employed by a company in South Korea where I had lived from 2009 - 2017, some military and some because I was married to a Korean.

The company said it was too hard to communicate with me being in a 12 hour time difference after I returned to the states, and after working in the states, still with them, for 6 months, they decided to let me go.

I began searching on SnagAJob for local jobs when I came across an ad for CRST. School paid for, etc etc.

I was called by a recruiter almost immediately. We determined that I would go to CRST's school out in Colorado called "Careers World Wide", which was their manual transmission school and the name imediately made me think "prestige world wide" from the movie StepBrothers.

I used my GI Bill to pay for the school so I wasn't under any sort of contract with CRST to stay with them. I didn't enjoy my 1 month there. I had an outright racist redneck of a trainer that weighed about 300 lbs and made no effort to help me in any aspect of learning how to back up or drive. He just sat in the middle of the bunk and complained if I rarely ground a gear or took over 3 minutes to back.

Needless to say, that experience, mixed with my desire to be by myself, I left, took a month off while my kids visited from Korea and eventually came across PTL, Paschall Truck Lines.

I know, I know. I've heard many things from others about what they think of PTL. Honestly, I don't really care. How the other drivers are doesn't concern me. I had an ACE fleet manager that treated me very well, ALWAYS kept me moving and the company as a whole treated me well. I even have had the opportunity to have some correspondence with some exec's after the company found out I am a YouTuber.

I started with PTL as a company driver June 14, 2018 I had an amazing trainer that got me backing into just about any situation like a 40 year vet in just 2 weeks. We've remained great friends.

In February this year, I decided to do a video about PTL's Lease Purchase program after being asked by some of my loyal fanbase. It ended up with me becoming a Lease Op.

I know what everyone says, don't lease from the same company you haul for etc. But I wanted to try it if the terms were good, and they weren't terrible. I do have my worries here and there if I should stay or walk away from the deal and go somewhere like SFI or something as sometimes the loads aren't paying too well. In my 1 month as a lease op, I've had a 500$ week, a 0$ week (had to get fuel sending unit replaced that week), a $1,700+ week and a projected 900$ week.

I don't want to just give up on it though. I want to give it time. I know I have a lot to learn, I HAVE studied a lot and learned a lot from the internet and helpful drivers on the road, etc. But I wish I had a mentor.

But yeah, that is my story. I'm just a guy who loves to drive, works hard as hell and trying to prove myself. If you care to check out what I do on YouTube; I do slight comedic videos about my life, some "tips" videos here and there, and a few company (PTL) related informational videos.​

Hope to catch you all around.
    BDSmith​

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019
    Reason for edit: Video deleted due to profanity in the video
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    good #### buddy, glad you decided to join us on the forum, alot of good people here im sure as you already know, good luck with you LP i hope it all works out the best for you , keep er shiniest side down

BDSmithTrucking Thanks this.
  4. BDSmithTrucking

Mar 29, 2019
    Thanks man I really appreciate the warm welcome. Wasn't sure how many trolls would pop up compared to the more helpful people. lol. We're off to a good start :toothy8:

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    ahh hell dont even worry about the naysayers and negative people, most of us on this forum just want to see eachother do well, but there is some bad apples, just better to ignore them and keep doing what your doing

6. BDSmithTrucking

Mar 29, 2019
    Great words of advice. Thanks again for the warm welcome driver. Stay safe out there.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. BDSmithTrucking

Mar 29, 2019
    Omega1 Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm not trolling; the picture looks like you. Did you scroll through the photos? Guy sitting in a truck with green vest similar to what you're wearing and also the hat like you're wearing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  10. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
  11. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    The cross promotion is big on this one.

D.Tibbitt and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.