Hey, question about dump trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 201, Jun 16, 2020.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I've been around dump trucks since the Byzantine era, recently, I noticed newer dump trucks have the ram upside down ( to me) The bigger tube that the little tubes come out of, is at the top. Anybody know why they do that now?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Different strokes for different folks. I want to say my newest dump body is about 3, maybe 4 years old and it's in the standard configuration. I might have heard people say that the ram is easier to bleed inverted, also some other reasons people have told me they like that style but I honestly can't remember what they were. I've never had an issue with any of mine the normal style so I have never worried too much about it.

201 and SmallPackage Thank this.
  4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Some guys say it helps keep crud from hitting and building up on the cylinder seals when they are upside down. Makes since in really dirty environments.

201 Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Thanks, IDK, you have any idea how many times I ran a hoist on a dump truck in the standard configuration?. They all leaked like a sieve anyway, inverted, I'd think it would be worse, plus, you have that big heavy portion of the ram at the top. I'd think that would help it "go over". I just laughed at that, thinking, we did t'other way 'round for 100 years,,,:dontknow:

Dino soar, BoxCarKidd and SmallPackage Thank this.
  6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    True. Not to mention it’s gotta have a few more gallons of oil and a mile more of line to get it to the top don’t it?

Shawn2130 Thanks this.
  7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    The hydraulic inlet is still on bottom of inverted style. Many hoist cylinders have gone from pin mount to trunnion mount. Gives more flexibility in design and doesn't require such a stout hoist tower area. Many rams are changing finish from chrome to salt bath nitriding.

8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    ?

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Thanks, to me, however it sounds like a ploy to sell more dump trailers. I can hear it now, "dang, these dump trailers are lasting too long, we need to do something". Voice from the back, " um boss, why don't we invert the ram, that should make them go over easier",,,"That's brilliant,,son, there will be a new level on your house when you get home",, see, that's how I think, and I'm usually not that far off.

10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Here is picture of a trunnion mount set up that is becoming commonplace. This hoist is "traditional" in that largest stage is @ bottom. Screenshot_20200621-105606.png

201 Thanks this.
  11. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    All of our dump trucks use trunnion mounts except maybe one. I’d have to look again.

Our end dump trailer that I always use is pin mount.

Each cylinder stages are black finish which I thought was anodized instead of chrome.

If the cylinder was inverted, oil enters the small stage shaft, wouldn’t that make it weaker?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.