Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Flyingdriver, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Flyingdriver

Flyingdriver Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Walla Walla WA
    I'm a 64 year old guy who has wanted to drive truck my entire life. My father (now retired) was a trucker his entire life. I spent my childhood riding all over the western states hauling cattle. We were based in Utah at the time.
    I also love to fly. I was a flight instructor/commercial pilot by the time I was 18. I spent 7 years as a professional pilot, all general aviation. I made the fatal mistake of getting married & started having kids so I had to change jobs as flying jobs were low paying in the 70's. I sold John Deere equipment for 30+ years. I retired in January 2020 hoping to get back into aviation...then Covid-19 hit. Flying jobs went south.

Since I love trucks & trucking I took time this summer to get my CDL at a truck driving school.
    I got my first job in August. I'm hauling bulk potatoes from the farm to the processing shed. 5 days a week with weekends off. I drive 450 miles a day. Central Oregon to Portland. The Columbia Gorge. 1999 Peterbilt, 425 HP Cat, 53' spud trailer.

I've made around 50 trips now & love every minute of it. The first few weeks I felt like I was drinking from a firehose! Now since I know the route & my assigned truck, it's much less stressful.

I'm excited to learn more from this forum.

650cat425, Jenn72, Numb and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
  4. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Welcome to the funny farm ! Lot of good people on here and some like me also.

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Welcome. Congratulations on the career change. You'll find that trucking is a lot less stressful than being a CFI.

650cat425 and Flyingdriver Thank this.
  6. Cobrakaiguy

Cobrakaiguy Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2020
    Dallas
    Welcome from Dallas, Texas.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.