high blood pressure

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by mack pinnacle, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mack pinnacle

mack pinnacle Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2011
    My blood pressure is a little high but not high enough to warrant medication.My doctor told if I want my cdl license he was going stick me on medication.My question is will the otr companies hire me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    yes, but it will require you having a shorter span on your medical card. there are plenty of drivers out there on BP. meds

4. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB
    Try reducing your sodium and upping your exercise a little, and you'll probably see a dramatic change in your BP, sans meds.

NHL_fan, bikegoon and Mrs T Thank this.
  5. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

There many different options(your doctor will make that decision for you),Most common is Lisinopril( ihave been on for 3 years) BP drugs are very common in this industry

Your DOT health card will either be good for 1 or 2 yrs depending on your BP and the type of BP meds you are taking

Yes Diet and exercise will help your BP,but if your personal doc is already saying this i recomend the following website for the best nutritional info,
    www.americandiabetes.org,It has meal planners and all the info you can ever think of to ask

As im typeII I have to really watch what i eat(LIMIT YOUR CARB INTAKE!)

Good luck with your future endevours!

bikegoon and flood Thank this.
  6. Bob's Buzz

Bob's Buzz Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Georgetwn, Calif.
    Start taking Garlic , it will go down! Drink lemonAID with honey and real lemon juice!

Rockin&Rollin Thanks this.
  7. bikegoon

bikegoon Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My doctor put me on Lisinopril this last week. I can tell you that in 6 days of using them...My BP is WELL under the 140/90 threshold.

What I did was cut sodium, cut caffeine, cut smoking, take lotsa vitamins, get more exercise, and of course, the medication.

My BP dropped like a rock.

Good luck to you!

And you will be amazed at how much better you feel!

Everett Thanks this.
  8. truckrdave

truckrdave Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2011
    baton rouge,la
    I just go sent home from San antonio for high BP, I appreciate your posts and really hope to be back there soon

9. veets53

veets53 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    does it matter what kind of bp meds you take? my husband just got put on hydroclorot. side effects says can make you dizzy..Is there any bp meds that will disqualify you?

10. engine312

engine312 Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Arizona
    Garlic? will lower your blood pressure? Is that gloves or pills?

11. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY

Do you mean hydrochlorothiazide? sometimes abbreviated as HCTZ?

If so it is a mild diuretic that helps to decrease BP by taking the excess fluid off your system. Excessive fluid in your body (not just drinking water I mean on the cellular level) causes the heart to work harder and this causes BP to go up. Tell your husband to cut salt/sodium as this is the major reason most people retain fluid or bloat. Yes one of the side effects can be dizzy or lightheaded as the medication helps to get the fluid off your BP will come down. He might especially notice it when he stands up.

Sorry I don't know any specific medications that could disqualify you.

Mrs T and Everett Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.