high flow mufflers

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by poorrednek, Oct 27, 2009.

1. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Tifton, Ga
    Got the Donaldson's installed a couple months ago and loving them! They're louder than stock but won't get you in trouble or becoming annoying like straight pipes. Cruising down the hwy I really don't even notice them. When you wind it up or during a good pull you'll hear more low tone from the back. That's inside the truck with the window up, I know it's louder outside, because with the window down I can really hear the turbo whine more going up through the gears and decent rumble as you start winding the gears up. The jakes are louder of course, but not super loud. It all sounds really cool in a tunnel.

Also got my pyro hooked up. I'm normally seeing about 600F cruising and I don't think I've seen over 850F pulling hard. I haven't had it in mountains with a heavy load since installing the probe though. Just stop lights going from zero to cruise pulling heavy.

black_dog106 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Travelinman

Travelinman Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2010
    What about mpg? Are you seeing an improvement?

4. kubotaorange76

kubotaorange76 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga
    the jakes sure sound good with them as well

5. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Tifton, Ga
    Can't really say. My mileage various so much from load to load and other factors.

6. Scrapper

Scrapper Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Nashville, AR
    We use the Shuttleworth mufflers...we get them from Big Truck and Trailer for $55.00. I could not find flow numbers on them. We use the 5510 muffler. I have not thought to look through it and see what it looks like. I know its not a straight through design. I called the company and left a message to see if I could get the flow numbers for it. The 5510 is a standard 5" muffler. They are way better built than the ones we were getting from Kenworth. You can see it in the welds and how they are put together. We have good luck with them...and you can't beat the cost...just wish I knew how they flowed.

Illest Thanks this.
  7. Scrapper

Scrapper Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Nashville, AR
    Talked to my boss today. He went out and looked at the Shuttleworth mufflers. There is a cone baffle in the center that can be pushed out with a long rod...heating would make it simple to do...that will give this muffler a straight through design...and still have a quieting effect. With this...and the quality of these mufflers...which was better than the donaldsons we were using....you would just have to see one of the mufflers...and the 55 dollor price tag...we are going to stay with them...and probably push the cones open to give us a straight through design to add cfm.

8. kubotaorange76

kubotaorange76 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga
    M100463 12.7 detroit, stacks on side of cab with jakes and windows up
    [​IMG]

9. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    may have posted these before

Stock Nelson mufflers:
    [​IMG]

New Donaldson performance mufflers:
    [​IMG]

10. haystack

haystack Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    I have a 03 w9, the muffler is removed with a horseshoe intalled in place of the muffler. Could a person take 2 of these mufflers and stack them in place of the old muffler? I know there will have to be bracket mods, that isnt a problem, have a well stocked shop with metal and tools to build new brackets. I need to do something, its way too loud for my liking, and wife said she is tired of repeating everything she says.

11. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    My '06 International 9400 had the same "in and out" muffler that is on the W900. I removed it early on and did the "horseshoe" thing you did, but I also included a resonator in the mix. Has worked great. My glider I have on order will have vertical mufflers. It will get high flows before it pulls the first load.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.