high flow mufflers

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by poorrednek, Oct 27, 2009.

1. truckbiz

truckbiz Light Load Member

Granhawler, Great pic's really says it all.
    I put a 463 on last year and am happy with it, my work varies so much I don't have good mileage numbers. I may have posted here some months ago, but I'll say again, with a day cab and a somewhat short pipe, it's to loud for me to run with the right window down, not ear splitting by any means, just to much all day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. greenerdollar

greenerdollar Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Chicago,IL
    granhawler
    Thank you for the pic.
    You can see thru, whats the point of using it?
    I have a 06 Columbia with cat c15/435 hp. I'm thinking to run the exhaust pipes to shoot under the truck behind the cab; just pipes no mufflers.No mufflers more mpg... Everybody, any opinions about that?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. PaulE

PaulE Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Verona Wi
    No muffler = LOUD
    Donaldson M100463 is quiet and flows more than you need ( 3200 cfm )
    I run a single one with a MXS 550 with a tweaked Bully Dog tune and it has plenty of flow. no egt issues.

5. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Depending on where you run, No mufflers eqauls harrasment from the DOT. Just bolt a pair of Donaldson M100463's on, they flow almost as good as (if not the same) straight pipes & you cant get harrassed for not having a muffler on. Just my two cents.

Joew900 Thanks this.
  6. greenerdollar

greenerdollar Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Chicago,IL
    I will go with a muffler for now Donaldson M100463. I would like to have the pipe shooting under the truck by the drive wheels . What do you think about that?
    When it comes to tuning its a challenge which company to use (they all expensive);
    - Bully Dog from my understanding , once purchased the equipment can be used for tuning multiple trucks as long they have the same engine. Not sure about efficiency...
    - PDI there are a lot of people here using it but i believe its all so becouse some of the members here are dealers for pdi.Increased power and mpg. Can be used for one truck only;might be cheaper, not sure yet.
    - pp instant response from engine , helps with the miles , adjustments options. used for one truck only , but it can be moved to a different truck with the same engine.
    What would you guys use?

PaulE
    What made you chose Bully Dog, how much did you improve mpg and hp after tuning(which setting are you using, they have 2).What kind of truck do you have and what were the setings before tuning hp . What do you pull and at what is your average speed.

I'm all about mpg any suggestion is welcomed .

Thank you for your answers.

7. kubotaorange76

kubotaorange76 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga
    anyone else running these mufflers? have any hard mpg data? sound clips?

8. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    Anyone know if they will work horizontally? I'm replacing dual catalytic mufflers under my 05 T600.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I know this thread is kind of old and I'm veering off topic but the reason most guys in here use PDI is first class customer service by Mr Haney who sells PDI. He knows more about electronic CAT's than your average mechanic and is more than willing to share that info with customers and take the time to help them plan a setup that will work best for their situation. He has also saved some of us money on parts. He's a trucker/horsepower enthusiast first and a PDI dealer second.. ..most of the people selling these tunes are just salesmen blowing smoke looking to earn a commision. They can't tell you squat about your engine..

10. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    In June I found pinhole leaks in the exhaust elbow under the muffler on my '05 Columbia. It was the week of the DOT inspection blitz, so I let a company shop replace the elbow and muffler.

Suddenly there was no more power over 1,500 rpm's. Replaced both fuel filters (Thought they were plugged) and realized the new muffler was probably choking the motor out.

Eyeballing the "will-fit" muffler the shop put on it, there were spot welds all over the outside where the baffles were tacked to the inside of the thing- "Made in China" stamped on the side.

I was in Joplin, Mo- so I dropped into the chrome shop across from the Pilot truckstop and bought a "Pittsburgh Performance Sport" muffler. I measured the width and length of the unit that was on the truck and found one to match. I installed it backwards on purpose (inside the muffler was a spiral of raised dimples and each one was cut across the bottom). I want a straight pipe but don't want the hassle from Law Enforcement. It looks stock and I even replaced the heat shield.

And it is L-O-U-D !

Everyone hears me coming- now drivers on cell phones turn left and look at me before they dive under my hood and merge (they still cut me off but they're looking- that's an improvement). Pedestrians turn around every time when I'm about 1/8 mile away to see what's coming. The sound reflects back down to the cab when I go under bridges and in tunnels. With heavy loads at 67 mph and about 1,400 rpm's the whole cab vibrates, I get a foot massage if both feet are flat on the floor.

Just had a level 1 inspection, no issues with noise.

And I'm a fuel mileage nut, it's not the only modification this tractor has- but it's getting me a dependable 9.3 mpg's with light loads and 7.9 with heavy loads. Mercedes motors have unique compression brakes and a turbo brake that pinches off the exhaust- so pretty much all the noise I hear using the engine brake is a hiss.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Oh- the muffler cost under $200.00 and stacks were on sale for $25.00. The muffler and stack were about $225.00 total, with tax. A bit steep but the "will fit" that was on it was killing fuel mileage- it had to go.

If you do your own installation, don't forget to drill a hole in the base of the stack and install a set screw through the clamp, muffler and stack. No matter how tight you get the clamps, the turnout will start to turn around (kind of like the possessed kid's head in "The Exorcist"). A set screw will hold the stack still until the pipes rust together and form a good bond.

Oh yeah- power! Now there's a big burst of horsepower at 1,700 to 1,850 rpm's that it never had before. N-I-C-E !

punksmacker Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    dave, that "pitts power" muffler you paid too much money for is just a rebranded donaldson M100463 that these guys are posting about. That's right, the same muffler.. ..don't feel bad though cause I overpaid for 2 pittspower mufflers to go underneath my sleeper, lol..

russtrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.