High Idle On 2015 Cascadia

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Cobrawastaken, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    So I've heard from a lot of places that it's bad for your engine to idle at normal speed (~600rpm) for a long period. It even says in both the cascadia owners manual and the Detroit engine manual that you should idle at a minimum of 900rpm (or maybe it was 800, don't remember) when idling for an extended period. I have a 2015 cascadia with a dd13 and 10 speed manual. I've looked and looked onlineb and all over the cascadia and Detroit manual about how to activate high idle or fast idle whatever you wanna call it and can't figure it out. I've tried turning cruise on, hitting set or hitting res and nothing. Tried with brake applied, with range splitter up, even tried it while holding the rpm where I want it with the accelerator pedal. Nothing. Interesting thing happens though. When I hit set or res, the accelerator pedal no longer does anything. You can put it to the floor and it just sits at about 600rpm. Is it just not possible on this truck or what? It's a company truck so I don't care about fuel but I do have mechanical sympathy.. I don't wanna ruin a good engine regardless of who pays for it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Turn the cruise on, then hold down the resume (bottom left) button until you reach the desired RPM.

4. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    It might be turned off in the ECM

5. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Tried it. Doesn't work.

That has to be it. Seems pretty stupid to me, then again I guess that's why my company gets rid of their trucks after 3 years. Also why the new ones all have opti-idle too...

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I have Optimized Idle, it's back from the 90s. It will start engine and idle at 900rpm for cab temperature, battery charging, or engine oil temperature. The new thing it will do it automatic parked regeneration.

7. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    On my '16 the cruise has to be switched off then I hold down the acc/res button for a second or two. It will only rise to 700rpm, but that's enough to smooth out the engine vibes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.