High Idle - Why?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by PacoTaco, Dec 20, 2016.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, it worked for George Burns once...;)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Had a spot saved for another truck to transfer some stuff, 2 cones out. Buddy backs over them and says he didn't see'em.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    My Volvo had a " Smart Idle " that would run mostly at 700, but would kick up to about 900, then back down, keeps the DPF from getting messed up.

I've heard if you let the truck just idle at idle, it's very bad for the piston rings.

I'd much rather listen to high idle, than pup, pup, pup, pup of an APU.

PacoTaco Thanks this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Years ago we idled them up because at low idle you'd get incomplete fuel burn and the fuel residue would cause cylinder wash down and the excess fuel would contaminate the oil.

When the other truck 1st leaves, you could move 1/2 spot over blocking both spots, so it looks like you're a rookie trainee that doesn't know how to back. That way there isn't room for another truck on either side of you

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you have noise issues, try a howl and cry of a reefer in full high cool. Try to sleep. Im deaf and don't care.

The pup pup you speak of sounds like a happy APU it';s better than squealing, coughing, missing etc.

High Idle is make a happy engine over time.

If they built a proper auxiularly motor capable of keeping big engine warm and in a hot state ready to go at a moment's notice without having to run said engine at high idle and also keep the driver or drivers team cool or warm plus house 120 volt power. Is that too much to ask for? Boats have that. Trucks don't

The DPF fluids is something I have no experience with. Frankly those are sources of fires that kill people and burn up equiptment unnecessarily. If I was a carrier, I will NEVER have that crap on trucks.

PacoTaco and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The old Carrier units that would stick on high were the worst lol.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Like others said on the older engines like from the 2000 low oil pressure and the cylinder not being hot enough the fuel would wash down pass the piston rings an go in to the oil. That not good, plus you also put a lot of load/fuel on the fuel injectors. Because they were built and design to running under a full load injecting fuel. I alway heard at idle you loading them up with more fuel then your using. That put more pressure on them vs driving down the road. Truck diesel engines are designed to running full power all the time. That why they last so long. They are not designed to idle all night.

The new emission engine have the same thing plus the emission system to worry about. My truck now has ability to automatically do a parked regeneration if need. So the computer will also raise engine RPMs to 1,400 RPMs and do that if needed to clean the DPF.

PacoTaco and not4hire Thank this.
  9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I think you have your emission alphabet mixed up...DPF's are metal and don't require fluid other than a very minor amount of diesel...DEF injection systems are a totally seperate part of the exhaust after the DPF....that's the part that needs the fluid. And the only time I read about a fire involving a truck is if an aftermarket DPF is installed on a truck that wasn't designed for it (like in Cali), or if some yutz has a crash that splits open a fuel tank and it hits the hot exhaust...but I saw things like the latter happen long before the emissions regulations changed.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
  11. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Compression and oil slobber is another reason. My CAT will slobber oil if it's left at low idle too long. At 700/750 whatever there isn't enough compression to force the rings against the cylinder walls completely and over the course of the night it'll slobber oil into the manifold past the turbo and into the stacks take off after sitting and it'll spray oil out the stacks all the way down the trailer.

If a guy don't realize that's what's going on hell #### a brick when he sees all the oil and figure he's got a major problem. So if mines going to idle for an extended period it gets cranked to 1000/1100. But I'm not the guy parking at the truckstop either only time mine really idles high is at the elevator and everybody is already idling so it's not a huge deal.

Nothereoften, PacoTaco and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.