High Idle - Why?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by PacoTaco, Dec 20, 2016.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Running a company truck now and always hated idleing with my own truck but my boss don't believe in apus so when I go to bed the big Cummins goes to 1000 rpm and the unit goes on continuous.

PacoTaco and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reverendhandy

reverendhandy Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Modesto, CA
    Not true.
    I idle during freezing or baking temperature, but my pto idle is only 720 max.
    The only time it goes higher is during a regen.
    If trucks were set correctly at the shops, you would rarely have to exceed 700-800 rpms for pto.
    That range gives a nice smooth running engine and everything works correctly.
    With the older engines that are without the newer electronic control units, the newer regen systems, etc., 1000 rpm or higher is necessary.

4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    High idle to me a anything you have to set at that rate. Mack and Volvo both want the idle to be set at 800 rpm to idle over night. Same holds for all the others so yes it is true.

5. reverendhandy

reverendhandy Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Modesto, CA
    My Volvo is set to run pto between 700 and 725 per Volvo.
    But even at 800, that is still smooth and consistent.
    I think he was referring more to those trucks that idle higher, then wind up and down all night.

6. Dirty Don

Dirty Don Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2018
    I'm driving a 1998 Cat Luckily, I don't live in the truck, but.... If it's really cold out, and I can't plug it in I idle it at night while I'm at home. Do I need to high idle it? I'm not in it. I don't care if it's not "toasty" inside it while I'm at home. Am I hurting it if I don't high idle it? Because I save fuel if I don't.

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I don't now much about cat engine. Detroit Diesel tech said on S60 it was hard on the injectors to idle at low RPMs because it loads a lot of fuel in them. He claimed they were designed to run at full power all the time. That why they could go 700,000+ miles. On my S60 and most you would get unburned diesel on exhaust and it would smoke like crazy first mile. How much of that undurned diesel got past piston rings I don't know. That was the idea back then. Today you could take oil sample and see if any diesel is in engine oil.

8. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    You should probably higher idle yours too. Don’t wear your truck out.. unless you work for a company then I can see why you wouldn’t care.

9. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    That's a great attitude. Why would you care about the piece of equipment that makes you're paycheck. SMH. Thanks for reminding me why I will never have employees. Because of guys like you with you're "I don't give a sh!#$ its not my truck" attitude.

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My 2000 truck with 1999 S60 has the Detroit Optimize Idle. I took oil sample back then and found almost no problems letting the truck idle. The wear on the engine was only like 5 parts per million less. It would idle at 900 RPMs when the computers did it. That was enough to keep the engine warm like 170F.

I'm driving a 2017 truck and it has same Optimized Idle it still idle at 900 RPM. If someone is going to idle engine I don't see why not idle at 900. You avoid any possibility of low engine temp and you don't really save any fuel in my opinion. Plus if it really cold you need heat to keep the fuel warm also.

11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Company have our trucks set up to shut off after 3 minute of idling unless fast idle set. Fast idle in my truck is only 800rpm. Previously trucks had been set anywhere from 1000 to 1200

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.