High-pitched squeal and no engine breaks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by texasmorrell, May 8, 2013.

1. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    I need help identifying my problem guys. I have an ISX with VGT. I'm getting a high-pitched squeal when I coast down hill. The sound gets louder as the truck goes faster. It sounded even louder when I turn on the engine break. However the engine breaks do not really work anymore. They don't really slow the truck down at all anymore. The squeal sounds just like blowing air over a blade of grass. The Squeal is also present when accelerating at lower speeds. There is no squeal at all when driving on a level surface. It only happens when the turbo is either pushing or pulling. And now I noticed a sound that sounds similar to air escaping whenever I turn off the engine. It's coming from the rear part of the engine near the firewall. And another interesting fact I have lost about .5 mpg since all this began happening. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Found the problem. Blown turbo mounting gasket. $80 for new gasket and bolts. Now just need to put it on. Could actually see the jagged edge of the gasket sticking out each side.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  4. gregor

gregor Light Load Member

May 13, 2011
    chicago,il
    had same problem, when my turbo gone bad i replaced it with mounting gasket and problem gone.. good U found it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.