High pressure in coolant system???

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bizzzzzz1, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Onway

Onway Bobtail Member

May 23, 2017
    Hello everyone.
    I have a 2008 d13 with ishift 940k miles.
    Have exact same problem especially when climbing steep hills. I will add about a gallon of coolant every 4k miles.
    I did a gas test on the coolant and it came back yellow-green, meaning there are gases in the coolant. I had this problem for over 150k miles and truck runs like a champ, just pushing water out of reservoir hose. When i start the truck and let it warm up, with reservoir cap off, i push gas pedal and see small bubbles in the coolant. Not sure what is the next step either a cracked head or head seal, or might be egr cooler. Also had the coppers replaced not long ago since it wasent holding diesel. Thanks for any input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kabusheke2004

kabusheke2004 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Virginia
    Mine turned out to be cracked head on Cummins ISX

2013Maxx Thanks this.
  4. Onway

Onway Bobtail Member

May 23, 2017
    I did all the tests possible. Checked for bubbles in coolant tank and results didn't give much detail, it bubbled but was not consistent. Checked for water in the oil using paste and no water was discovered. Will take truck to shop on Thursday and do deep diagnosis. Will report on the findings. Mechanic thinks it's the coppers but there's no way since they were replaced few months ago and problem never went away.

5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Are you getting any oil at all in your air tanks....?

Could very well be the air compressor

6. Onway

Onway Bobtail Member

May 23, 2017
    No oil or water in air tanks. Also if it was only the air compressor then the combustion gas test I did on the coolant system wouldn't of detected any combustion gasses in the cooling system. At least that's what I'm assuming.

2013Maxx Thanks this.
  7. Onway

Onway Bobtail Member

May 23, 2017
    Ok guys. Issue seems to be resolved 10k miles did not add any water. I was going to replace the head but got a contact for a Volvo tech in Sacramento. Next day he called me to pick up my truck. He wouldn't tell me what he did but said truck is fine. Ever since I've been climbing hills in Arizona at 120 degree temps and all good. If anyone needs his number i can share.

8. kabusheke2004

kabusheke2004 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Virginia
    Thanks for the update. It would have been nice if the technician told you what the issue was. Good to hear truck runs well. Be safe

9. Mudman78

Mudman78 Light Load Member

May 23, 2016
    Your truck is a 2008. It's no longer under warranty. You paid for the repair. You have every right to demand he tell you what he did to your truck.

10. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    There is a "sniffer" used to detect gases in coolant. Seen it used to verify leaking head gasket as mechanic was not absolutely sure my head gasket was leaking. Torquing the crap out of head bolts may have worked temporarily but not recommended.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.