hill climbing fast vs slow

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by shatteredsquare, Jul 11, 2021.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Any hill you can get over at a speed of 45 is not a hill but a gopher mound

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Now THATS a hill folks

God prefers Diesels and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I remember coming down that hill with my dad in a loaded 7 axle logger. Stage 3 jake for about 15 minutes straight. Snail pace. They actually have passing lanes to pass slow trucks going DOWN the hill!

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Big and slow... and that is exactly what that Saturn V rocket is.

As I recall the Bertha was around 24 inches tall, but the Saturn was closer to 5 feet, and a 3 stage rocket.
    It was truly majestic in its slow ascent.
    It got to around 80 feet or so and the second stage failed.
    It floundered there for a couple seconds, then turned over and embedded itself nearly a foot in the ground - nose first.
    There was both crying and cheering as that happened, depending on who you were. It was a sight to behold.
    That is one serious model rocket project.

Another story about the Saturn V rocket.
    But, the real one.
    One of my uncles, Frank Butler, was one of the engineers that designed the release mechanism for the actual Saturn V back in the '60's.
    You see those big clamps in nearly every video of that rocket lifting off.

He had quit Boeing at some point and went rogue. It seems he didn't like the tight security surrounding everything.
    When they told him that he would never be out from under it, he disappeared.
    Until one day when he got into a brawl in a bar and KO'd a plain clothes cop.

Uncle Frank is only around 5 feet something short, and has no collar bones.
    As such, he can actually touch both shoulders in front.
    When one of the cops tried to put him in a hold, he simply put his shoulders forward and slipped down and out, then came back up to clock the guy.
    He was a scrappy little guy, and ended up getting arrested.

My family took a trip down to FL to bail him out, but he was let out anyway because he didn't start the fight and only got caught in the middle of it.
    It's a strange story, made more so by the fact that he had thousands of dollars in his duffel bag that he could have used to bail himself out, but he decided that the cops could provide his lodging and meals for a while.

After that he disappeared again and we have not seen or heard from him to this day.

6. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    speed and a high rpm cadence makes climbing easier on the engine and tranny too, most Tennessee/Kentucky interstate grades if it's at 1700 rpm pulling at 70mph it will keep climbing the whole way up, fully loaded, won't slow down at all, at worst drop to 60 right near the top, but if you can't hit the bottom hard enough and falls down to 8th gear, 1700 rpm at 50mph won't hold at that speed, ends up in 7th going up the rest of the way at 45mph with hazards on. it's a lot more stress on everything in tractor mode, clawing away

7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Got to have mechanical sympathy any idiot can dog the #### out of equipment.
    Doesn’t really prove anything so what you got to the top 3 0r 5 mph faster. Meanwhile my truck isn’t being abused and taking away longevity.

Bean Jr. and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    the harder i ride her the softer she gets:D

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    If you got enough donkies you don’t have to dog it.....run at it.....or use the blinky lights. Leave the cruise set and let it take care of itself

TripleSix, alds and jdchet Thank this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Are you speaking of that mythical (in the age of neutered, cattle prod laden semis)machine known as “The Large Car?”

11. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    I like those trucks that you have to slow down for corners going up the hill. :cool:

Mr. Cob, Bean Jr., tallguy66 and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.