hill climbing fast vs slow

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by shatteredsquare, Jul 11, 2021.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    And whaddaya know? A dry van in the hammer lane on a hill.

Final Drive Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Super trucker with a leased trailer. Same guy that will be tailgating the 4wheeler.

4. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Might have a load of dispatcher's brains!

JD

5. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    That is correct. But that's maybe one in ten. The other nine times out of ten, he's doing 41 while the guys in the middle and slow lanes are doing 40.

Final Drive and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    D2D90214-F7D6-4F82-9BAA-23B7E670DBF7.jpeg It’s not just the big rigs. These guys had a rolling road block for 3 miles.

7. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I totally agree. But a trucker should know better.

"Should"

Pamela1990 and Final Drive Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    There’s a huge difference between a trucker and a Braindead nondriving steeringwheelholder.

9. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Yep mount eagle is a bump in the road. Not sure how you can cook the brakes
    Or even touch them fully loaded if you use common sense. OOPS common sense not so common anymore

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    bluechew

11. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

That is a legitimate hill, not what some want to call a hill, but is really nothing more than a bump.
    Hwy 24 has sharp curves as you approach it, then a HILL. Usually I am right at max weight of 46,500 kgs, and my speed on that hill is between 21 and 23 kms/hr, throttle to the floor for about 15 minutes. Living in Pr. George B.C. which is in a valley, every direction means a small hill to leave town. They are insignificant compared to what a driver is in for though after they drive a ways, except for south, which doesn't have many. East has the most out of Pr. George, but north and west have their own. You can take a run at some of them, but it makes little difference. You will soon be dropping gears at a rapid rate, and once you find a gear the engine will pull, you just hold the throttle down. In winter you likely stopped near the bottom to chain up already, so don't worry about momentum. Seems I go west and north most often, so my days usually have several hills where i am going 24 to 28 kms/hr for a while, the Cat just continues to pull. We joke about getting bricks to keep in the cab, and on hills just put them on the throttle pedal. I spun out once, I tried cheating, instead of chaining up. My heart rate was up as I chained up in the middle of a 14% hill, still another couple kms to the top, worried about traction to lift it, and drive line snapping lifting it. Well it went good, despite my laziness of not chaining up at the bottom. That was 12 years ago, have pulled that hill hundreds of times since, when its snowing hard, I've never tried it without chains since. Hills like that are all around, fuel economy is the last thing on a drivers mind at those times. If you can get over the top doing more than 50 kms/hr, it wasn't really a hill to begin with.

AModelCat, Bean Jr. and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.