Hiring area question

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by LoboSolo, Sep 30, 2013.

1. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Looking at the Gordon website, Iowa is in their hiring area. South Dakota is not, but it is shown as an additional operating area. I plan to be a resident of South Dakota, with an address that is about 10 miles from the Iowa border. I don't care about home time, just want to take some occasional time off every couple of months wherever I am.

Why South Dakota instead of Iowa ? About $1000-$1500 in state income taxes every year to a state I'll rarely be in to receive any benefits for my contributions.

I have clean driving and criminal records, a passport and a solid work history. I am planning on going to CDL school on my dime at the end of the year but think it's too soon to start talking with recruiters (am I wrong on this?).

Will Gordon still consider me if my state of residency is technically outside of their hiring area?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    First off, call a recruiter and ask them. Even drivers for Gordon wont know for sure. Secondly, they must draw the line somewhere so if your only 10 miles away, they might hire you. The bigger concern is they may or may not be set up to file your taxes for SD if they normally hire from IA.

4. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Just call recruiting.. I talk to drivers here all the time who are in areas they say they don't hire in. The reason they exclude areas is the inability to get you home for hometime.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.