Hissing from hvac box

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by sirjeff, Sep 14, 2018.

1. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    Hello money saving think tank that is TTR. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and if so, can confirm my hunch or set me straight.

Ac no longer works. There is refrigerant (I assume the correct amount) in the system. When the compressor is ON there is a hiss coming from the HVAC box. When the compressor is OFF, there is no hiss. The Ac has been slacking more and more as the hiss has been getting louder over the past few months. Temperature selection, vent selection, fresh/recirculate does not have any impact.....strictly when ac is either on, or off.

I pulled the box apart (as much as I wanted to with the time I had between loads) and found all servos, blend doors, everybody is working as they should. Kept digging, the sound is definitely in the evaporator region. No visible leaks of any kind.

Throw a new expansion valve on er, recharge and call it a day? Or am I missing something here????

On another note, thank God it crapped out at the END of summer...... every year it seems I dump a grand or so in keeping it working. I have found that a turbo bag helps to preserve the lines around the firewall there, as well as some cut up heater hose zap strapped around the usual rub spots (for anyone who has had a pain in the ### with this system, as I have)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you plan on keeping that truck years, drop a whole new system in there for 1500 or so and stop getting overhot or having hissy fits.

//TEASE...

Anyhow I think your AC is tired. Somewhere in there is a problem. Even though winter is coming, you can still have some days in it where you have need of it.

4. urbanized53

urbanized53 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Mine did the same thing. There was pressure in the system, however, I topped it off with sealing referdiger and it blew strong and cold again

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.