Hit a yellow pole

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ktanner683, Jan 26, 2020.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    The thing is, these new plastic trucks. If it had been an old one, maybe scratched the paint a bit and been considered very minor. Nowdays that doesn't happen. X1HEAVY is from back in the day, see?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    You probably got yourself fired by not reporting it right away. They can't trust you to be upfront about any mistakes from now on.

joshuapowell61 and Ktanner683 Thank this.
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    If every driver with 10 years' experience got fired for bumping a bollard and breaking some plastic, this industry would be WORSE than it already is~! :(

Tomcat, Out.

LoSt_AgAiN, x1Heavy, Numb and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    no ,not every company has someone one duty 24/7.

I've driven for alot of 100 truck or less companies that were closed on weekends and after 5.
    last one I drove for was a warehouse and dry bulk company. closed at 5:00.

they give you an 800 number for break downs and such. it's not your company though.

drove out of a 5 truck terminal and we had a local shop for repairs and such. just a mom and pop,with the sons and crew. called up and told Ma were and what. yes, we called her ma. everybody did. lol

some may give you a home number that you really don't want to call unless people have died or something. lol

6. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    I would get in front of this incident as soon as is possible. By this I mean call whom ever at the office and explain what happened. Like others have said, if this is your first incident I doubt you’ll be fired.

I know an old guy was going around a clover leaf exit ramp while eating one of those huge pieces of pizza from the Pilot/J, and he was going too fast, couldn’t see the tightness of the curve and layed it right over. That was at Williams Iowa going from I35 south onto US20 west. That’s a pretty sharp curve. Anyway, he still works for that company. -just sayin’.

Swine hauler, Ktanner683 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    Exactly!

Ktanner683, G13Tomcat and Bakerman Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was thinking today of our old paving outfit. We have been fired a thousand times by a very profane, blown his top boss man sick and fed up all the way to here with our antics and games.

One example is demanding alot of stone right here. NOW. So we raise the beds to see which of us can drop one individual stone as a game. tiktiktik along the ground. Its possible. Up on the fuel tank leans in the window and grabs PTO. THUMP. Then hollars until the spoken english fails him saying I am fired again.

Ok. Goes home.

Sun comes up next morning. Phone rings.

HEY! WHY YOU LATE!? GET GOING ALREADY. A thousand times thousand.

Ktanner683 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You have to assume that some of the responders here are couch drivers not truck drivers. Don't make a bigger deal out of it than you need to. If you typically drop and hook just drop the trailer and move on. If you forgot to call them and they have not called you they probably aren't going to. Honesty in a company job is what they tell you but not what the company practices. Be your own conscience, posters here think someone who matters might read the post here, you also might become a millionaire.

Decide and do what you think works for you,don't worry about the opinions of the mass. In fact when it comes to people in general, normally find out what they would do, then do the opposite.

Ktanner683 Thanks this.
  10. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Just man up and tell them you hit a pole.
    Better they see you as an honest man than find out later you're just another weasel in a truck.
    If they value your service, you'll find out, one way or the other.

Ever wonder why so many fleet trucks and rental trucks look like junk?

Weasels!
    Weasel drivers who don't report the damage so the owners don't know to fix them, and weasel owners who don't bother fix them.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    They don't fix them either way.

G13Tomcat and Ktanner683 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.