Hit and Run

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by 4xAlum, Jun 12, 2017.

1. 4xAlum

4xAlum Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2017
    I replied, but apparently the site didn't get updated. Yes, as mentioned, I want the vehicle fixed on the company's dime, not through my I surrrance. I also want the driver held accountable.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
  4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    You know in some parts of Kentucky that would be plausible.

Lepton1, lilillill and Bakerman Thank this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I read this post and have been thinking about it the last day or two.

First, I hope you are able to track down the driver and get fair compensation. I'm glad there were no injuries.

Now for my REAL thoughts...

Your daughter made some real bone headed decisions. First, she was going over the speed limit WITH a truck next to her that apparently wanted to pass. The RIGHT decision was to back out of it and STAY CLEAR of the truck, ESPECIALLY ON THE BLIND SIDE.

Just because a trucker is passing you doesn't automatically mean that trucker REMEMBERS you are in the blind side. Heavy traffic is an exercise in sensory overload. I have no excuses for the unprofessional behavior of that trucker, but your daughter needs to wise up, back off, and STAY CLEAR of other vehicles in traffic.

I encourage you to Google "truck tire explosion". Be advised you WILL see people killed from the sheer force of the blast. A passenger vehicle inflates tires to 32 psi. A truck tire inflates to 110 psi. They can go off with the force of a hand grenade. For this reason alone NEVER HANG OUT NEXT TO A TRUCK. Folks have been killed from the blast of a truck tire explosion driving next to a truck. Tire explosions can cause a trucker to lose control (if they aren't trained to handle it). If are you are going to pass a truck, get busy and PASS ALREADY! If a truck is passing you...

(gasp)

...SLOW DOWN to facilitate the pass.

I feel for your situation. But it was something that your daughter contributed to.

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Good post!

Just to emphasize a couple of points...
    Not only is the pressure higher, but both the area the pressure is acting against (the PSI in pressure readings ;) ) AND the volume are significantly greater than a passenger car tire, resulting in a potential energy many factors greater.
    There is a two semi fatal crash posted today in the accidents forum that was likely the result of a blown tire.

Big Don and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It could have been an old Dart trailer with the markings still semi-visable.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.