Hit two poles. Didn't report it

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Koolwhip, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Koolwhip

Koolwhip Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I had a backing accident today at a shipper and ended up bending two red poles that were in the ground. They weren't in concrete but they were on a dirt lot and when I hit them they were up rooted from the ground . It didn't look very stable to begin with since it wasn't concrete but it's just a bunch of dirt. I have my reasons for not reporting it as a accident. I understand the repercussions of not reporting an accident. while I was backing there was another driver that was in the dock and he was sitting in his driver seat. I'm pretty sure he saw what happened. I saw him get out of his truck about 15 minutes later and walk to the back of his trailer to see if he was done being loaded and then he walked into the shipper. He didn't look at the poles that I hit at all. I'm pretty sure that this company has cameras. My question is how long do you think that it would take to hear something back from the company that I drive for?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you see cameras? If this will cost your job because of something in the past, I wouldn't say anything.
    Don't volunteer anything if you will lose your job. If the company ever does ask you about it, just say, "Yeah, I bumped two poles that were just sticking in the dirt and nothing was damaged."
    Even if they fire you, there's dozens of companies that will be glad to hire you.

CaptainDaveG, Need4Speed and mhyn Thank this.
  4. Koolwhip

Koolwhip Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That place hardly has any lights in the area. They have no lights at all when you're backing into the dock. I think that they have some cameras but I'm not sure if any of them were pointed into this direction of the spot I hit.

5. Koolwhip

Koolwhip Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The polls were guarding a fire hydrant. I hit the poles but didn't hit the fire hydrant so maybe nothing will come of it. The polls are still standing there just a little bit back

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't say anything about it then. I broke a fire hydrant off and it rolled into the street. I drug it over by the dumpster. When the customer showed up for work, I complained that I had to move the fire hydrant and it was really heavy because it was laying in front of the dock.

sevenmph, DoneYourWay, crocky and 16 others Thank this.
  7. Koolwhip

Koolwhip Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Got it. What time frame do you think that I will be contacted about this if This if I ever am contacted?

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Probably within 24 hours.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Years ago, we rolled over plenty, if it didn't damage the truck, no one was the wiser. It was like that when I got here. Today, with cameras EVERYWHERE, I just don't know. If it's a dock or a yard, it has camera's. I wouldn't worry about the other driver, he was probably thinking, "it's nice to see someone else do that for a change". Probably be ok, but next time watch your mirrors!!!:biggrin_25516:

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Get out and look.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    CaptainDaveG, Grubby, JReding and 6 others Thank this.
  11. Offroad1978

Offroad1978 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2017
    NY
    Not being judgemental here or anything, but why wouldn't you own up to the incident and be honest about it? I mean if the company you work for would fire you for it, I'd be seeking employment elsewhere. No one is perfect, I've made my mistakes like everyone else, I'm just curious as to why honesty isn't the best policy anymore. I've had a couple of minor infractions, but my company stood by me, and they alluded to the fact that since I was forthcoming about those incidents, they valued my honesty and integrity, no write ups or anything.

gjcarr03, norb5150, #1don and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.