Hitch hikers, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Disturbed Canuck, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disturbed Canuck

    Disturbed Canuck Light Load Member

    111
    5
    Mar 13, 2008
    Saskatoon, SK
    0
    When I was 17, I started hitch hiking partly for fun, partly to get away from where I was in order to get some where new. One thing I noticed was that a number of rigs would pass by because truckers either were not allowed or did not want to pick up a hitch hiker. Unlike some other thumb waggers out there, I wasn't bothered by it. I was travelling for fun and the rig drivers were doing a job. I was hardly in a position to gripe. Not only that but when you're picking some one up, who knows if they're hopping into your truck with smiles and good intentions or a hidden want for whatever is in your wallet not matter what the risks may be.

    That being said, I did get to ride in a number of rigs with all kind of different drivers. Even a retired "by the book" guy who was working in the trucking industry to keep busy picked me up thinking I was broken down when I was in fact being dropped off by my previous ride. He ended up taking me through a few scales as we provided all kinds of interesting conversation for each other before he had to turn south.

    So here I am now, poised to get my license to drive rigs and am looking forward to the day when I may be able to get a long haul position somewhere once I have some miles under my belt. I don't know if I'll pick any one up brandishing their thumb at me but I would like to think I will unless I would get fired for it or something.

    I guess what I'm asking is simply whether or not you would pick up a hitch hiker and why or why not?

    Cheers
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. driver4015

    driver4015 Medium Load Member

    529
    189
    Jan 28, 2008
    Bend ,Oregon
    0
    There's more than one side to this question. The people today are not the same as when I was younger. you have as good a chance of picking up a psyco as a good person. At the same time,that person with their thumb out has no idea who or what you are. And then there is a problem with your company, their insurance company is not going to like it at all!!!! you will lose your job if another company driver see you and turns you in. But in the end you have to make that decison. good luck and happy trails.:biggrin_25514:
     
  4. Big Don

    Big Don "Old Fart"

    17,996
    35,650
    Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    0
    As far as I'm concerned hitchhikers are a no-no. Way to get yourself in trouble with your company and with the law. Not to mention all kinds of other problems you may be getting into.

    Perhaps I'm cold, or maybe just old, but if it looks like someone is in need of help, I believe in calling 911. That's one reason why I carry a cell phone.
     
  5. rookietrucker

    rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF

    10,061
    7,060
    Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    0
    I used to stop and help people in my pov. I would not do it in a commercial vehicle. For one. Its not worth risking your job. Second, Todays society is not right. Even in my pov I question pulling over and helping people now. With the rampant crimes I read in the news. I don't want to become a statistic. If its like a elderly person. I will stop and help them. Otherwise I will call 911 and let them know....
     
  6. Truckerjo

    Truckerjo Road Train Member

    2,314
    341
    Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    0
    People I have gave a ride...

    Well, I have given a few truck drivers that was broken down rides..

    A women was broke down in her car and it must of been -10 out so, I stopped and let her sit in the truck where it was warm till help arrived.. Well come to find out this girl also had a 4 month baby..

    I stopped to help another girl who broke down.. few driver yelled out over the radio.. they said she was pretty hot so I could not resist.. And they was right she was very good looking.. She had help comming.. I noticed she was a little scared so I offered to stay with her till help arrived .

    A guy walking in the pouring rain no more the 50 ft from his car.. Gave him a ride to the next exit..

    Other then that I haven't picked anybody up...
    Why? sorry to say this but most of them look dirty and looked as if they smelled.. Nothing personal but I would get sick.. Its bad enough walking past a dirty trucker in the truckstop let alone having one sit next to me...

    Luggage my gosh some of these people have a lot of luggage..
     
  7. Disturbed Canuck

    Disturbed Canuck Light Load Member

    111
    5
    Mar 13, 2008
    Saskatoon, SK
    0
    I suppose that's one advantage I had as a hitch hiker. I wasn't trying to move a three bedroom home along with me like some people do and I always made sure to be neat in appearance. I'm incredibly vain so that just comes naturally. :biggrin_25523:

    Like I said, I didn't gripe when I was a hitch hiker, partly because I did get rides from rig drivers but mostly because I didn't think I had any right to expect that someone engaged in doing their job should be picking me up at all.

    I guess it seems like there aren't any laws against it but certainly there are company policies against picking up riders from the side of the road. If what's I'm reading is correct anyway. I seem to remember some sign in the corner of a highway cop's window saying something like "don't pick up hitch hikers" or something to that effect but that was years ago and I could just be suffering from a faulty memory.

    Any states/provinces where it may in fact be illegal to pick up a hitch hiker? I know that there certain stretches of road way/highway/freeway where stopping to pick some one up is against the law but any "no hitch hiking" jurisdictions out there to anyone's knowledge?

    Cheers
     
  8. MedicineMan

    MedicineMan Road Train Member

    5,799
    6,440
    Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    0
    see the post title "woman sought for boyfriends murder"in the new section


    Nuff said
     
  9. Captamb1

    Captamb1 Bobtail Member

    49
    3
    Feb 2, 2008
    Ca.
    0
    Years ago they use to have hospitals for the mentally ill, these days they just let them out on the streets and you never know who you are picking up.
     
  10. Disturbed Canuck

    Disturbed Canuck Light Load Member

    111
    5
    Mar 13, 2008
    Saskatoon, SK
    0
    Yah but years ago they thought women wanting to vote was a mental illness...if you ask me, all voters are mentally ill and I'm absolutely insane.

    I remember when I was thumb wagging, the trucker who was giving me a ride was talking to some one about a Canadian long hauler that was shot by a guy he picked up.

    Terrible things can happen to you if you pick up a hitch hiker because you're engaging in interaction with some one you know nothing about. I guess it's a trade off of sorts. Personally I don't worry too much about people and i will pick up a hitch hiker in my car.

    I dunno...it's a tough one to wrap my head around as a wannabe because from a trucker's point of view, it amounts to a professional decision depending on how you look at it. For me in my car it's just a question of whether or not I want to save 2 minutes. For a trucker it's a question of insurance, job security, saving truly precious time in many cases, personal safety on the job, etc...

    Cheers
     
  11. 2xR

    2xR Medium Load Member

    365
    95
    Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    0
    I don't understand your indecision.

    The risk far outweigh any possible benefits.

    End of subject. Period.
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.