Hitch Hikers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by motocross25, Aug 22, 2017.

1. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    You don't see as many as used to. At least I don't. Has anyone ever picked anyone up needing a lift and have any good/funny/terrifying tales?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I never have, but have been asked more than once. I watched too many scary movies. Those fellows never seemed like friendly hippies either.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  4. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Hazmat so no picking up hitchers for me.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Federal regs prohibit unauthorized passengers, so unless you are operating under your own authority and want to write up a permission slip with the required information, a hitchhiker isn't likely to get picked up. If you DO pick one up, and happen to get stopped without the written authorization, you'll be receiving a ticket. Doesn't matter if you own the truck, the authorization has to come from the carrier with the operating authority. Like I said, if it's all you, go right on ahead...but you'll still have to write out the permission slip to be legal.

6. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Back in the 80's coming home from a party half lit. Not really paying attention was cruising along radio blasting. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a mini skirt and high heels and big hair!! I slammed on the brakes and threw it in reverse...no time for a u turn! Didn't want someone else to beat me to her. She opened the door and hopped in. I said where ya going? He/she replied in a voice deeper than mine. "Oh no where in particular" Me: you're gonna have to get out. He/she: I'm not going anywhere! Me: grabbing the keys as I started out the door.."oh yes you are!" He/she must of been a track star!! He/she was fast even in heels!! That was the night I decided I should prolly stop smokin' as much weed!!

7. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Great story!

Grubby, BigBob410 and motocross25 Thank this.
  8. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Haha!! There ya go! Starting the stories off with a great one. Good post!

billybux and BigBob410 Thank this.
  9. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    No, no, no. Raised in South America here. No giving rides, no matter what.

billybux and motocross25 Thank this.
  10. azheavyduty

azheavyduty Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Many years ago, i was getting on 101 south of San Jose and there was a beauty hitchhiking. Turned out her boyfriend had gotten pissed at her and kicked her out of the car to walk home. Just as she was getting in my truck he pulled up to apologize. She told him to f off and i convinced him to get off the running board. Spent the next 2 days in a hotel helping her get revenge.

11. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    What happens when you pick up hitchhikers. Skip to 5:00

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.