Holland Simplex 5th wheel play

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by 2hot2handle, Oct 28, 2019.

1. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2015
    I have play in my 5th wheel when you take a pry bar and go to either side and pry up. I also can see movement front to back on the rails.

I assume the front to back movement is the slots it's in are worn but I cant get it to release to move it to another spot to confirm.

I really don't like this 5th wheel setup but Freightliner told me to convert to a jost or fontaine the whole assembly needs to be changed out. If I don't slam this thing into the king pin the release handle doesn't fully retract and it doesn't lock completely. I'm tired of slamming my truck into trailers.

For now I'm thinking just a rebuild of the pins and bushings to remove the side to side play and if the springs and jaws need done I'll do that as well.

Does anyone know if Holland makes a better setup that is compatible with the same rails and release setup that the Simplex uses? I don't want to spend money twice. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    You might want to contact jost directly with the model and serial number of what you have now.
    It’s been six years, but I had a fld and put a jost on with no changes. Took maybe 15mins.

4. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Thank you

062 Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    A standard holland should swap right onto your rails, I’m guessing. But you said your pins are bad, so you’d need those also, My thinking on that is that the rails are all the same. The Holland’s are very good simple design.New only around $850 at FleetPride. For plate only.

6. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I know my 01 freightliner originally came with a Simplex and at some point was swapped over to an FW35 which is a great fifth wheel in my opinion. I think the slider is original to the truck. I just put an Atro urethane bushing/pin kit in. It was around $90.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.