Home time and drinking.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Staple201718, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Like I have said several times in this thread and many times in others in the past. When a carrier gets the list of drivers to test that carrier has a limited amount of time to get the drivers tested. In fact the carrier can get into serious trouble if they don't. I can't remember how long that time is. Now it is up to the carrier how they handle these notifications just as long as this testing is done by the set time allowed. I have drove for carriers that will wait a few days and I have drove for them that want you peeing in that cup ASAP. The FMCSA is silent on this. Just as long as that test is finished in the prescribed time is all that really matters.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    If a driver is on duty they are not separate. However if a driver is off duty there is no test required. So it depends on the status of the driver!

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I really wanna say you are wrong there is a time frame for the company as long as the proper number get done each month.

I say this for a couple reasions.
    1. I could not find anything stating as such in 392.
    2. My last employer I put in a week notice. This was Jan 26. Well on Jan 31, he sent me for a random. He got the list on Jan 5. He had it for the better part of a month.

Maybe you are confusing employer time restraints with an employee time restraint? Depending on which test, for which reason, an employee has between 2 an 32 hours to report.

5. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm not confusing anything. Most carriers use a 3rd party consortium for testing. They get a list on a periodic basis and they have so much time to get these people on that list tested. I'm not where I have my material on this testing in front of me or I would be able to find that time that is allocated. However this is clear and there is no grey area.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is not what I was looking for, but it does go into some detail. On page 4 at the bottom they get into detail on how to handle problems with a driver not being able to test.

BEST PRACTICES

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    My last company got the list for our terminal (small terminal. Usually only 1 or 2 picked if any) but they waited until we returned and were finished with the load to send us. Could be the next day or 3 weeks later. In 22+ years of driving I only had an alcohol test once.
    One time I was called at home, off duty, and had to go test. After that, I would never answer the phone when I was off if the call was from the company.

8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Sure it does, if they need to talk to me, then when they call and I don’t answer, leave a message. When I find a time to check that message, I may call back. If the caller dose not leave a message, it must not have been that important. I have a cell phone, it has voicemail, text, email, and a host of other methods of communicating with me. If it is that important, then the sending party has multiples of options to tell me what they need or want.

Now here is the part that seems lots of people don’t understand. The phone is not my leash, or my life. Often times it stays in a few places for days. In the truck, snap it into its holder, when I get out for something, guess what, phone stays in place.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    mmm beer good boss bad man him no good to you being spiteful not sure why? your truck was off getting fixed can't see why that would be a problem something don't add up.

10. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Makes sense that every now and then a truck driver goes postal on management. Its inconceivable in my mind that dispatch would do anything so low as do something to piss off a driver. You never know who you are really dealing with any those actions are what could be the straw that broke the camels back.

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 1COMMENTEMAILMORE

Authorities say a former trucking company employee fatally shot two workers at separate metro Detroit businesses before being wounded by responding officers.

Taylor Police Chief John Blair tells WDIV-TV that the suspect walked into BSD Linehaul in Taylor at about 10:30 a.m. Thursday and fired shots from what is believed to have been an assault rifle.

Blair says the suspect then ran outside and carjacked a semi-trailer.

Another person was killed about 30 miles away at a business in Pontiac.

The suspect was later shot by police in Waterford, near Pontiac. He was being treated at a hospital.

Blair says the suspect was let go by the trucking company in November and described him as "a disgruntled employee" who "came back for some sort of vengeance."

11. Mesikan

Mesikan Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.