Home time for Regional Dedicated

Discussion in 'Swift' started by whosedog, Nov 23, 2011.

1. whosedog

whosedog Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2009
    fair lawn nj
    Today my son(a new Swifty) was informed that his 34 hour resets count as hometime because he goes home on every reset,so his request for 4 days hometime for thanksgiving was denied.He put in the request 3 weeks ago and was just told today that it was denied.
    My question is this,does Swift allow any vacation /hometime for regional dedicated drivers besides the 34 hour reset?Like after you've been there one year or more can you request a week of hometime?
    They are letting him come home for Thanksgiving day just because there is no freight that has to be moved on his dedicated account for that day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Swift is like most companies. That 34 hour reset, is their weekend.

As for getting additional days off. That will be up to the "customer".

You stated your son runs dedicated. He is at the mercy of the account. This is the price he pays for the position.

If he wishes to take additional days off, at odd times. He'll need to move into another position (read OTR), or wait for his vacation.

Trucking is a 24/7 job.

I only know of ONE company that allows a driver to plan his own schedule. And Swift is NOT it.

whosedog Thanks this.
  4. whosedog

whosedog Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2009
    fair lawn nj
    So he gets a vacation?

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Oh yes, he will. I don't know of any company that doesn't offer a driver vacation time after one year.

I don't work for Swift. But I think it's safe for me to make that statement. If it's not true, it would be the first time I've ever heard of a company NOT offering vacation.

Be advised though. Vacation schedules with the vast majority of trucking companies are based on the date of hire. Not the typical June/July vacation that is offered in most other industries.

The driver may take their vacation anytime after their anniversary date with most companies.

If your sons hire date is June 03. And he wants to take a week off during Christmas next year. He'll have to wait until that time to take the vacation.

whosedog Thanks this.
  6. Tapeworm

Tapeworm Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Upper Midwest
    Time off will vary for a new driver depending on their home terminal location and their dm. I typically get home every week for a 34hr reset. Any other time that I wish to take off has to be discussed and cleared by my dm well in advance...

whosedog Thanks this.
  7. neal79

neal79 Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Chicago,IL
    Vacation works pretty much like danc694u said. You can take it after your 1 year anniversary date. You get paid for it the next pay period after you anniversary and you arrange with your dm when you actually take it. Makes total sense to me that his 34's count as hometime since he is at home for them. It's also cool if you ask me that he still does at least get tomorrow off.

whosedog Thanks this.
  8. oc83baker

oc83baker Medium Load Member

Jan 18, 2011
    all 48
    U get 1 week paid vacation after 1st year. Being on a dedicted account hae its ups and downs one of the down side is taking off. That's a big problem for me that's why I went back otr. On dedicated u are on their time, you can't just take off as u would like. I like plenty others don't like otr but I like that I can take as many days off as I want.

9. Truckersmooth

Truckersmooth Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I'm not exactly sure what the complaint is.. At least he's HOME on thanksgiving.. theres guys out there with families that can't be home for maybe 3 weeks after that.. OTR guys normally only get 3-4 days every MONTH home.. I'd say he's well off to have thanksgiving off and be home multiple times a month.. Be grateful! Yes, vacation is available to the driver after 1 year of service as stated.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.