Hometime- parking situation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by firstgear, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    that, in the trade, is known as a "ka-ZING"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dwayne

dwayne Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Hows about in the yard of your house?

[​IMG]

4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Dang, that's a purty truck! Black, nicely chromed! That would look good in my yard!

5. Lurchgs

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    aw, who cares about the paint/chrome? it's a Long Nose. I don't care who makes it, I love that long, flat hood design.

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Oh man, I don't own my own place yet, but if I ever did shell out my blood and sweat for a Deed & mortgage, I'll be ###### if one of these comunity nazis will tell me what to do with MY property.

My Mom's neighborhood has changed a lot since I was a kid, we have a lot more NIMBY's than we used to (NIMBY=Not In My Back Yard). And since it's a Co-op, a lot of them are on the board now. Currently they are obsessed with hunting down the rabbits (humanely, of course) that are eating all the expensive landscaping plants they keep insisting on buying.

Personally, I don't mind rabbits, my wife thinks they're adorable. She's not alone, as some people keep tampering with the traps.

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I wish you luck with that. I found out the hard way in 2000. I had lived where I lived for over 10 years and owned my property.

New law put in place by the local city council.

New law, No commercial vehicles over 10,000 lbs allowed on residential property.

Found out after being out for 3 weeks and told after the truck was parked where it always had been parked.

8. d'kota

d'kota Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Omaha, Ne
    I talked with a walmart employee (nice guy we talk everytime I'm there)about parking in their lot. He said Trucks are not suppose to park there,there are signs posted, but they all do, but they've never towed or had a truck ticketed since he's been there over 3 years. This walmart is in Omaha off 680
    D'kota

9. Lurchgs

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Fortunately, the dictatorial grip covenants have held for 30 years is getting loosened here in Colorado - courts are holding that they're overreaching their authority, etc.

'Course, that doesn't help when the city or county sets up a new ordinance :(

Where I live, for instance, I can't park a car next to the house, but I can put a trailer, RV, bus, or (yes) tractor/trailer in that spot. Basically anything with wheels that's not a car. Given that I have 4 cars parked here, that little rule is a bit of a PITA because I'd really rather not park on the street. (no particular reason, just me being me). Garage has one car and the others fit ok in the driveway - but what if I want the car in the garage? Life would be so much simpler if I could park the 4x4 in the dirt where it belongs. :)

Anyway - I digress - it would create a bit of a furor around here if the city were to try to change that partic'lar ordinance to exclude anything else. There's even a guy down the street who keeps his end-loader/backhoe in there.

There's many things I dislike about this neighborhood (like, I can actually see my neighbor's houses), but that's not one of them.

All that being said, Infosaur, I really strongly recommend you not push too hard - you'll find that yes, it's your property, but the laws will still apply to you.

Now, they can't make you put poison or traps or things like that down for the rabbits... if you really object to their policies, you might consider feeding the little varmints. (we have rabbits in our neighborhood - and a family of foxes. Coyotes and prairie rats are not far away.) I don't think they can make it illegal for you to feed the rabbits - though they MIGHT try to work it as a health code issue.

D'kota - I understand where you are coming from - but if there are signs, I'd refrain from leaving my truck there. It's one thing to spend the night - if they have a hissy fit, they'll just come out and tell you to move. If you aren't there, they might tow your rig and stick you with the bill...not a risk I'd be willing to take.

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Well I don't own my own place, I rent in PA, My mom lives in suburban NY, in an area notorious for being truck unfriendly (an entire industrial park inside 2 square miles ringed by underweight crossings and underheight bridges.

The local industrial businesses have been slowly driven out of town for the last 30 years, there's a lot of vacant parking if you know where to look. And it's only a short jog to my mother's apartment.

As far as the "War of the Rabbits/Roses" last I saw the rabbits were still winning. :D

11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I can park my truck and trailer on the street, our city ordinance says it's ok unless someone complains. I leave my phone number taped to the window. The kids love a dirty trailer, they write silly stuff in the dirt and like to draw ducks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.