hood slamming shut

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by gazeymay, Dec 3, 2012.

1. gazeymay

gazeymay Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2012
    BC Canada
    I was greasing the front of the truck with the hood open on the 2011 Western Star I have driven for a year and a half, thankfully squatted down in front of the axle, when the wind slammed the hood shut. It hit me on the head and I had to crawl out from underneath at the front tire. Has anyone else had this sort of problem? I asked our mechanics about it and they said that there is no safety on them to hold them open. I have driven truck for the past 25 years and have never come across this before. Anyone else or am I the only lucky one?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Must have been a good wind. Might need to wear hard hat for pre-trip. I have not seen that. Just be lucky you didn't get hurt badly. Guess you could make stick or pin to lock open in adverse weather.

4. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    My hood (4964 EX) is so heavy that its all you can do to open it and almost need a lift to close it.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    all they have is a cable to keep it from dropping to the ground.

don't think i've seen one with a locker on it.

and given todays vehicles are lighter then years past. the hood is probably fiberglass and don't weigh much.

6. Curly88

Curly88 Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Rexford Mt
    Used to drive a 2012 t660, it had a lever with a magnet attached that fell forward and locked the hood in the open position. just had to push the lever back to close the hood.

7. gazeymay

gazeymay Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2012
    BC Canada
    Thanks so much for all the response, guess I'll have to wear a hard hat and hope its not windy out. This happens to all the 2011 Western Stars in our fleet, we have them all lined up parked and whenever it is windy (which I wasn't aware of) they will ALL slam shut.

8. ShootThis

ShootThis Medium Load Member

Sounds like an issue your company needs to address,or it may cost them a lot more in the long run as you have brought a safety issue to their attention.

9. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Been knocked pretty hard beside the head by a T-2000 hood that someone had removed the cables off of.

Never had one blow close on me before but I am sure it can happen if the wind is right and the hood angle weight is light.

Maybe your truck was hungry or mad... Is your hood shaped like the Green Goblin?

10. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I'm with Starline, my EX hood would take some Wyoming winds to even think about shutting, and it is fiberglass. You must have a set back axle truck.

11. gazeymay

gazeymay Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2012
    BC Canada
    I am going to phone the dealership today to find out what the problem is with these trucks. It is a full size gravel truck with a DD15, I pull a quad trailer with it, so a lot of weight. Maybe just a light duty hood to keep the weight down for the tare.
    Will let you know the outcome.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.