Hopper DDG problem

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by krazman, Mar 21, 2015.

1. krazman

krazman Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    Anyone got any good ideas on how to make that ddg come out of trailer ? 4 hours with 2-3 of us pounding and poking and shoveling .

my ideas are .. a tank of compressed air hooked up to glad hand with a air hose attached to a pvc pipe about 6 feet long . shove it in the ddg and blow it out all at once lilke on of them tanks they use to pop your tire on the wheel .

A rope with a piece of steel on the end about 1/8" thick and maybe a foot long and 2" tall . tie it to the bow and hang it down to the door . Then load . Pull it up to break loose and open up that first hole .

Car wax. Some good slick wax . Probably the liquid type . Right before loading rub it all over with a sponge mop . should help it slide out . ( still need to make that first hole ) .

I hear they sell a electric prod kind of like a jack hammer that vibrates and breaks it loose . 1000.00 bucks . But I can not find one .

also a good idea I have is for after making that hole . Use a 6 foot or so cheap flimsy ladder ( because it will weigh about nothing ) . Drop it down to the pit . then you could climb down the ladder and be right where the packed ddg is and break that loose with out hanging from the bow by one hand and poking at it with a stick and risking falling to the bottom and getting hurt or buried . I think this would work well and am going to try it next week along with the rope idea and maybe the wax also.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I keep my trailer clean, and wax it inside once a week with good ol turtle wax. Also throw a basketball in each hopper and load on top of it. Helps make the hole, I have seen the chain in the middle work as well as a piece of PVC with tiny holes drilled top to bottom on all sides. Cap the bottom fix the top for an air hose. Course your hoping that where your dumping has air. I also have seen most of these methods used on hot rice bran and none of it helped lol. It may be in my head but the wax really helped my trailer not only with bran and DDG but other stuff too.

free2fly973 and krazman Thank this.
  4. flatbed101

flatbed101 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Newton, Alabama
    The PAM cooking spray. Spray around edge of hopper bottom and gate. Will open up thathole and no worries about air or anything else falling into pit.

krazman Thanks this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Carry something to lay across the top of hopper to keep from falling down into hole when using a blow pipe, was waiting to unload when driver went down hole he just opened up into cookie meal, they would not divert the meal so driver was trapped standing on screen till what broke out went down he had his pants striped off and they were blocking part of screen,called 911 after 1min when operator kept running screws,fireman came and ck. driver who just wanted to unload other hopper an leave, they said a driver died in ms. when he fell into meal an was found after cutting side out of trailer.

6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Haul it in a end dump not a hooper, also you could install flo-cones in the sides of the hopper, if you have a blower. Other wise I would not haul it. DCG packs because of the shape of trailer. transfers or ends work well.

The old large door bottoms did not have that problem, you simply have the wrong trailers, also dont haul petro-coke.

7. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
  8. jpracer1

jpracer1 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    What kind of wax,like a spray wax?

9. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    car wash wax whenever we washout.

10. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    forgot about Pam . I used it when I ran an end dump in the winter . Well I used the cheap stuff for a dollar but when I did not feel like using bleech to keep frozen sand from sticking I would use the spray . Worked well actually but all in all was easier to squirt bleech .

11. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    I was going to try wax . was not sure which one to use as some are very expensive . might give that a try .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.