Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    The only time I had issue with the straps was when I hauled a low volume load, like road salt or crushed limestone.. With the low volume theres a lot of weight just on the door so the straps would tend to stretch rather than open the door. My remedy for this was to attach a couple of 3" ratchet straps to help apply pressure and slide the door open. They worked fine but I am certainly happy about having the 2 spd geared doors now. And I LOVE my vibrator:biggrin_25514:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    I can see where they would tend to stretch like that. For grain they work great though. As for your last sentence, I'll be nice and not make any smart remarks! :biggrin_255: Lucky for you that some of those other crazies on here don't post on this thread.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
    7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  4. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
  5. RAG

RAG R.I.P.

Nov 23, 2007
    Tonga

Are you gonna share your drugs?

6. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    No. :biggrin_25522:

7. cowdoc

cowdoc Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2008
    walnut ridge, ar
    We've got a Wilson with big, long doors and the straps are very hard to get started. Once you get them started the doors open fine. The straps are very worn. We've got 2 high clearance Wilson's with smaller doors and the straps work fine. Those trailers are less than 2 years old so that may have something to do with it.

8. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    RW.and 5mouths2feed, thanks for the info on Wilson straps.

9. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    thanks,cowdoc. hows it going?

10. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Many thanks for your responses to my queries, guys. It's much appreciated. Will probably be back with some more....oh, just thought of one :

Anybody heard of US Bulk, based our of Erie, PA ?

11. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Yes, run fast unless you like hauling cheap. I have talked to three or four of their owner operators and that is what I have been told unless you are one of the old hands that get the gravy runs. Then I ask why are you still with them and I get "can't afford to change" or "is their anyone else doing any better". I do here from other dump operators that I am around they are big into rate cutting but who isn't anymore.

Greymist I pull a dump over the road and I have talked to several end dump companies and some just have to many fees or BS rules. Like one in New York that wants you to pull your own end dump but you must put their decals on the sides and rear of your trailer and they are big decals or you pull their trailer for like $1300 a month.

Another outfit had three escrow accounts and fees out the caboose to work for them. They charged you $50 a week for using their fuel card on top of the normal usage fees.

So you really need to look at the fine print and read all of the contract before signing with any company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.