Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. WallyGator

WallyGator Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Clearwater,Florida
    here's a few
    1) walpole tampa Fl
    2) schwend tampa Fl
    3)pritchett north Florida
    4) FTL tampa Fl

all pretty big companys they have OTR and local. Good Luck Walt

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. M.Enterprises

M.Enterprises Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2009

Ahhh well the idea that increase regulation leads to less competition and therefore leads to better rates is true. Once the rates raise, you'll get more suburban guys starting small trucking companies to extract all that excess profit, and your right back to low rates again.

...Only now you better have your papers handy and be ready for a slew of fines every time you hit the interstate. The guy that speaka no engles might have a better shot at pulling profits as he would undoubtedly be allowed 50 miles across the border to pick up/drop off, all while being exempt from many of the same rules that you need to follow. Of course, this is all assuming he even listens to that 50 mile from the border restiction. We all know he won't.

In the end, a one truck operation is the most inefficient way to deal with DOT. You can be sure that a weigh scale on every corner does not mean a chicken in every O/O's pot.

4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Sometimes I think a one truck operation doesn't work in trucking as a whole. O/O gets no breaks on trucks, fuel, tires like the big boys do. Even a twenty truck fleet has more advantages.

In my case there are 3 grain companies I could haul for and I have. With it being slow I could haul for maybe two now. If it got busy I could only haul for one and keep them happy. If I had 6 trucks I could put 2 trucks on with each company and keep the companies happy.

When times get slow again a person could still haul for all three because they kept trucks on with them. I have to stay with the one grain company because I couldn't haul for the other two when they needed the trucks. If you don't haul for them enough they won't give you loads but give them to their regulars.

I wouldn't want that many trucks myself too many headaches. That seems to be the trend around here though. I guess I should mention have my own authority for those that don't know.

5. Wheat Light

Wheat Light Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Salem, IL
    Thanks for the help. Pritchett and FTL I can't find out much on the net. Walpole and Schwend I'm not in their hiring area.

I would think it would be easier to find someone to driver for with hoppers since the big ADM plant is just down the road in Sweetwater. Friend of mine worked for a small fleet (maybe 12 trucks) in Iowa (where he lived). They picked up by products in Sweetwater. They don't have any trucks empty right now though.

Anyone else think of somebody?? Thanks!

6. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR

You didn't look too hard... google pritchett trucking

7. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Pharm

Ever get your a/c working? Thought read somewhere you hadn't, can't remember.

8. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Yeah it's working, they bypassed the pressure switch so I'm probably going to have to address that at some point. But it's been just fine... shut it off for 10 minutes or so every few hours.

I was saying in my thread that Rush Peterbilt tried to nail me for a new evaporator and condensor saying the system was clogged, but it can't be if it's working. If I had had the money I'd have paid $1500 that day from not knowing any better. Instead it was $118. I would not truck very long with no a/c. I'm still kind of a wuss that way.

9. waybrot

waybrot Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    tn.
    I'm running a truck for a local company here in nashville tn. And none of there trucks have working a/c, It gets pretty hot. Driving it okay but when you have to stop GEEZ.............................

10. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    You can bet not too many other people would either. That's one thing that works or I don't work.

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  11. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I worked one harvest without a/c because didn't have time to fix it. Won't do that again. Yes, just sitting in a field or anywhere is not very pleasant.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.