Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Dang it was hot today! Went in to have a/c worked on thought it was fixed. Later on in afternoon started blowing hot air. Thought I was going die until I unloaded. Took the truck back to get worked on. They had put to much freon in the a/c and it wouldn't work. Put right amount in and it cooled okay.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Thought I would pop in on this thread and say hello, have enjoyed reading every page of it. Looks like the wheat harvest is in full swing for the state of Kansas. The weather has been unGodly hot and the humidity is dropping quickly, with no rain in sight should make quick work of getting the wheat in. No shortage of workers to bring the harvest in this year either, every farm family I know has been bombarded with "offers" to help and guys needing work. Hopefully our economy will rebound and life can resume as normal.

After having been a company truck driver myself in the past, and am now currently unemployed I have actually started considering buying my own truck and maybe pulling a grain hopper to get me rolling.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I hadn't thought about the farmers being offered that much labor. Usually it's hard to find workers at harvest...Not trying to discourage you but hopper rates are low right now. They have come up some for harvest but they will drop again after harvest.

5. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Another day of harvest...another day of something breaking. The grain cart tractor had a ruined tire so have to get that fixed maybe by tomorrow. Still can cut, a little harder without grain cart.

Also transfering loads from Yoder. They have amish that live there and they haul the grain in with tractors and grain carts.

6. Mjay

Mjay Bobtail Member

May 18, 2009
    Alberta Canada
    How is the yield and quality of the wheat?

I farm in Southern Alberta and our harvest starts mid August or so.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  7. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    60 lb test weight, 11% moisture and 11% protein. First field 55,the others so far probably 30-40 bushels per acre. Probably only 40% done but gaining ground.

Mid August, that's when corn harvest sometimes starts around here. Has to be pretty hot and dry though.

8. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Wheat fields = lots of flat tires lol. Way too many close calls with the old split ring wheels for me, glad they are mostly gone. Something unnatural about having to wrap chains around a tire before putting air to it. WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Wheathauler have you stopped in the Bullseye Burger Joint there in Yoder? Some friends of mine own that. Actually, I will be in Yoder on Saturday to get some "buying a truck advice" from a friend of mine from there, might see ya around...

9. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    What's the connection with wheat fields and flat tires?

10. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    A person used to get a lot of flat tires before the advent of radial tires. Occasionally there is still stuff in the field that will give you a flat. It's sometimes amazing what you find in wheat field. Found the remains of a meth lab one year.

11. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Been hauling out of Yoder but haven't stopped to eat there been to busy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.