Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    getting bottom feeders out,i'm all for that:yes2557:,wheathauler. Had a farmer call last week that i have always hauled for and wanted a bid to haul 12 loads of corn,i gave him my bid and heard nothing but ''silence'',then he said ''well,i know you have hauled my corn for me for 4 years in a row BUT i got a bid for 7cents less so i think i'm going to have to go with them,sorry.'' I told him,no big deal,thanks for the chance to give you a bid. Well,today he called me and said the guy was supposed to have hauled it this week and has yet to show up and has not returned his calls.The farmer ask me if i was still interested in the job,i said sure,farmer ask me if i wanted more money since he had turned my bid down the first time,i told him my bid still would be the same. Folks,i may be old school,but i think a man's word is still all he's got. I like what farmermatt says ''sell them on service'',i think if you do that,they won't forget it, IMO

Kansas, slabrunner, kajidono and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Yes, agree with service. Sure wish the grain companies would do that. I have a seed company I haul for that I really like. Good pay and they are thanking me for hauling the load. You're lucky if big outfits even acknowledge your existence when you haul for them.

You won't lose too many runs dairyman you treat your customers right.

dairyman Thanks this.
  4. dairyman

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    wheathauler,did you end up hauling any this week,or are the grandkids still there?

5. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    No, they left Monday afternoon. Took my wife and daughter to Airport today. They are going a cruise for 9 days... by the time I did all this, week pretty much gone.

I thought there was something starting next week but haven't heard anything. The dispatcher for those loads doesn't ever call me. I heard the loads are going where I hate to go...so no big deal.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
    dairyman Thanks this.
  6. dairyman

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    9 days,,,looks like its going to be tv-dinners,pot-pies and microwave popcorn for you, my friend:biggrin_2559:

wheathauler Thanks this.
  7. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I'll survive, the Schwans guy came by tonight. The freezer is well stocked. Go to the fast food places which I am sure will help my waistline.

dairyman Thanks this.
  8. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    You could get one of those convex mirrors for pickups that are designed to stick on the flat mirror. Get the biggest one you can find and stick it as high as you can get it on the flat mirror, see how it looks. You can always take it off if it doesn't work right.

dairyman, wheathauler and HwyPilot Thank this.
  9. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I'll try that might work on passenger mirror. Thanks.

10. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Look for a good one,....Lots of them have a "tinfoil" kinda look in them,....

dairyman and wheathauler Thank this.
  11. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Got a call from my grain merchandiser...shocking haven't heard from him in two months. Wanted 2 loads a day into this food processor which isn't to unreasonable. The catcher is they are open 7-2 and maybe less due to lack of space. They were closed all last week due to space issues. I said maybe get 5 or more in a week but he wanted ten or nothing. I said ok I'll do something else.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.