Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. Saddle Tramp

Saddle Tramp Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2009
    laurel, nebraska
    Its a lot of hard work keeping the board under the product. Than dragging it back & do it all over again:biggrin_25512:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    Omigosh, that's some serious rain, do you live on high ground? I take it you guys aren't dry anymore :biggrin_25519:, do you have any topsoil left?

The races were good, not great, a lot of tire smoking runs and only 17 top fuelers there, and 16 funny cars, so qualifying wasn't too critical. But the rain missed it, it was only paused once for maybe 15 minutes for about 25 drops of rain, so I'm thankful they weren't completely rained out. We decided not to stay for Sunday, so we were home by about 9:30 Sat evening, got to see part of what we just saw on ESPN. I wish I could have spent more time walking around the pits, watching them work on the cars is great, and seeing the money the teams have wrapped up in trucks and trailers is mind boggling.

I've never seen one of those, but it sounds like a lot of work! :yes2557:

4. Saddle Tramp

Jul 13, 2009
    laurel, nebraska
    yes it is. a muscle builder. if you do it wrong you could get hurt. if you let go while the pully is ingaged the board could fly up & hit you. you're using your arms, legs, & back to keep the board at an angle while the pully pulls the board toward the rear of the trailer. :biggrin_25512: thats why i like hoppers:biggrin_25519:

5. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    That sounds like a LOT of work,makes my arms hurt just thinking about it,about how many pounds could you drag with one trip? I'm guessing that 3-400lbs/trip with the board would be about all I could hold down at first,then i would probably be like my 'ol grandad used to say about forking silage,he would say''lighter loads and more of 'em,sonny!'':biggrin_2559: Thanks for that post,Saddle Tramp,but it makes me ashamed of complaining about dumping DDG in the windy weather,i guess i could be useing that drag board to unload it,that would make me appreciate that dump, wouldn't it:yes2557:

6. s hauler

s hauler Bobtail Member

May 3, 2010
    Saginaw Mi
    up here in michigan we pull double trailers with 8 axles some can gross 164000 pounds we haul like 50 tons at a time the rates here are bad to

HwyPilot Thanks this.
  7. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I'm guessing s hauler you have a big motor in your truck. My C-12 wouldn't be able to pull that very well.

8. s hauler

s hauler Bobtail Member

May 3, 2010
    Saginaw Mi
    i just have a little detriot but i do have 4:63 rear gears that helps are speed limits are only 60 mph but we get away with 65 most of the time

9. Saddle Tramp

Jul 13, 2009
    laurel, nebraska
    dairyman stay away from them Morman Boards, after doing that all winter of '83, I never want to do it AGAIN. One back breaking,arm hurting leg cramping piece of crap.:biggrin_2552:

HwyPilot and dairyman Thank this.
  10. HwyPilot

HwyPilot Medium Load Member

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    I don't know about the rest of you, but if I weighed out at 164k - I'd be checking my brakes alot :) You sure couldn't drive something like that anywhere in New England, half these people drive like they're possessed!

This morning in CT a little old lady merged onto highway 81, and came right out in front of my truck. I was standing on the air horns because I wasn't sure I could slow soon enough to miss her. I wound up squeezing the lane next to me to get some room and an exit path, and she just went along her way. Once she had my lane, she stepped on it and cut over into the hammer lane next to her. Gee I'm glad I could help her out some. She acted like I wasn't even there - the old bat! Makes you wonder how some people live as long as they do! :biggrin_25523:

dairyman and ampm wayne Thank this.
  11. s hauler

s hauler Bobtail Member

May 3, 2010
    Saginaw Mi
    we have 8 axles of brake on the trailers and 3 axles on the truck a total of 11 it not bad when they all work and are ajusted

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.