Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. cowdoc

cowdoc Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2008
    walnut ridge, ar
    Loaded fuel truck this afternoon for 2nd load fueling power units. Got to high crown gravel road after dropping 200 gals at the first well. Hit 6th gear clutch starts slipping. Pull over just enough to allow people to pass. Truck feels like it's going over. Pull truck 4 miles with tractor. This bad luck must be contagious.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    Lets all just go buy new trucks,with these great rates,we should be able to pay cash for them:biggrin_2556::biggrin_2559:

Well,i found my ''gremlin'' this afternoon,by chance and pure luck. I forgot to mention that it was raining the other night when i noticed my problems on my previous post,so this afternoon i thought i'd start checking behind the dash for bad wireing or bad grounds and when i was taking the panel that holds the pyro off,i saw a small arc flash,so after further inspection,i found the problem,the hot wire that goes to the light on the pryo gauge had a spot worn thru from where the drivers-side arm of the windsheild wiper blade guide arm connected to the wiper blade apparently was rubbing the hot wire to the light bulb on the pyro gauge,and every time the delay wiper would move,it was rubbing the wire,thus making it appear like the dash lights were flashing,i guess thats what i get for running a 20 year old truck LOL. We have had so much rain this past month,i was sure it was a moisture/ground problem,but since i have been useing the wipers so much lately,i guess that arm finally rubbed thru,so if i had not of had the dash lights on when i started taking the first dash panel off,i probably would still be looking for the culprit this time next year:biggrin_25523:,but the next time i run into a problem similar to this,i'm going to try and remember to have the power to the dash-lights on when i go fishing for my problems.It may not be what OSHA recommends,but it worked for me:biggrin_25524::biggrin_2559:. Thanks for all the help troubleshooting, folks:biggrin_25514:,i have $179 worth of parts coming from Martin's Peterbilt friday that needed to be replaced anyway. I'm just glad to know what was causing the problem,like WH said earlier,i hate electrical problems too,i just hope i am this lucky the next time,but i know better,LOL. Thanks again and good luck to the rest of ya'll with your ''gremlins''

HwyPilot Thanks this.
  4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Those high crown roads are fun, yeah right. They have been redoing some dirt roads around here, making the ditches much deeper. Make the ditches deeper and the driving area smaller, two cars can barely meet each other.

I wouldn't want to be on those roads with a fuel truck. Fuel would want to pull you into the ditch.

5. cowdoc

cowdoc Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2008
    walnut ridge, ar
    Yep those gravel roads present a challenge. Especially if the sides are soft or washed out. That tanker on gravel and field roads is a thrill ride. I drive it just enough to have a healthy respect for fulltime tanker drivers.

6. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    Glad you found your problem, Dairyman, even if it was pure luck, that still counts! I hate electrical problems too, but sometimes just poking around and looking at stuff will find things like that.

Cowdoc, was that clutch able to be adjusted up, or was it completely gone?

dairyman Thanks this.
  7. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Hi All, Just touching base. Things have been going pretty well for me with the reefer. Still miss my hopper but not the BS I was going through with E.. Who knows I my get back under a feed trough next year... Be safe Best wishes for a very profitable harvest.

RW. and HwyPilot Thank this.
  8. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Ok, by the way did you add two more mouths to feed?

9. 7mouths2feed

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    HAHAHAHAHA I figured you or BHW would be the first to notice that.:biggrin_2559: As a matter of fact yes. There's a set of twins 12 yrs( boy & girl) that lived just down the road from us... They started coming over to play and hang out with my kids. We noticed they were always dirty, the girl walked with her head down, never smiled, hardly spoke and seemed to be afraid to eat.. I let them know if they were going to come into my house they would be treated the same as my kids and that meant batheing, eating regular and doing what was expected of them. They started to be with us more than thier own place. When I saw the conditions they were living in I understood more of what was going on. We found out that the mother was under inverstigation and that the kids were very close to being taken by the state if she couldn't provide a proper home. So we confronted her and let her know they could stay with us as long as needed. The kids are very happy both have done a complete 180 in attitude. The boy is very respectful and helpful now and the girl is just beaming with self confidence. We are hoping that she will either grant us custody or if it goes to the state they will do so.. Either way I am now 7mouths2feed. Proud Papa of my new kids.:biggrin_25525:

RAG, bullhaulerswife, RW. and 5 others Thank this.
  10. Saddle Tramp

Saddle Tramp Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2009
    laurel, nebraska
    :biggrin_25514:7mouths2feed, i pray that you get to keep the kids. I know what just what those kids are going through. My parents were put in jail for stealing a car & driving across state lines. The state of S.D. took all 7 of us & dumped us in a childrens home. 2 were adopted, 3 went to foster care, my younger brother & i went to Boys Town in Omaha.:biggrin_25513:

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  11. 7mouths2feed

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Thank You Very Much... Its stories like this that just tore my heart out thinking that could happen to these kids.. They deserve every chance at life and there is no fault on them for their parents stupidity. If I/we have to fight to keep them we certainly will.

HwyPilot and Saddle Tramp Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.