Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Harvest is moving slowly down this way and trucks are moving a lot of wheat. North west of here they are reporting 60 bushel wheat and a lot of out of state trucks running and I am sure they will be coming to see you Kansas boys next, wait they are from Kansas. lol.

Anyone know of this grain hauling outfit and where are they in Kansas. Running old FLD Freightshakers and have J-N-B on the door?

Well un update on me, yesterday morning I left the house about 4am going to Medicine Lodge to get my load and head to Wichita. Everything is running fine and I get about 22 miles north of Enid and she starts running pretty ruff (I am thinking bad fuel or filter) I make it up to Red Hill Rd and Hwy 11 and I shut it off. I have two fuel filters and fuel but no filter wrench (gone missing). Well a lot of grain haulers and oilfield trucks run that old black top so I will catch one and here comes a truck (J-n-B) I am standing right their and he goes right on by. Finally a decent guy that owns a small hopper outfit in Kansas stopped and didn't have a wrench either but met a new friend. Daylight came and I called a couple friends that were trucking up that way and brought me what I needed and I got it started and it still ran ruff after changing filters. I turned it around and headed back to town where it is sitting at my shop. It ran 50-60 all the way back but it has a dedicated miss and will not pull. I went to Warren Cat here and he can't get me in till Wed. next week, Warren Cat in OKC said next Thursday, Doonans in Wichita said Monday but want around a $1,000 to tow it up their. So I am going to take a vacation and wait till Wed and I will not take it to a Rush dealer. I guess I am a firm believer that it says Cat on it then it needs to go to a Cat dealer.

RW., kajidono and wheathauler Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    JNB is out of kingman, ks. They have two or three trucks running, they aren't real friendly so not surprising they didn't stop. Twenty years ago more trucks would have stopped than you wanted.

I had something similar happen about four years ago. Ran really rough, turned out was bad cam shaft that took out fuel injector. Hopefully yours isn't that serious

Big John Thanks this.
  4. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    Sorrry to hear that Big John, maybe it won't be too expensive for ya. Strange how trucks have a way of dictating when your vacations will be whether you like it or not!

Big John and Kansas Thank this.
  5. Big John

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Well I seen their whole fleet go by all rough looking equipment. The guys down here say about the same thing not to freindly and not to bright. Well we will have to wait and see what is up with it, what ever it is it won't be cheap when shop rates are $100hr or better but like my wife says "That's Truckin" Maybe I can find me a job hauling wheat for the next few days and make some real money.

6. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Yep, that wheat hauling is a real money maker.:biggrin_2556:

7. Big John

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    :biggrin_2559: If I knew then what I know now. But were having so much fun.:biggrin_2559:

8. Mjay

Mjay Bobtail Member

May 18, 2009
    Alberta Canada
    Local rates around here:

30 miles one way hauling from farm to grain elevator. 1 1/2 hr round trip, but does not include loading at farm site. Loading can be around 40 minutes, depending on operation.

45 metric tonnes, or approx. 1600 bu of wheat per load. (Super b trailers)

$7.00 per tonne or $315 per load.

These are not my rates, as I am not a commercial hauler. I farm and haul my own product. This is what I had previously paid 2 years ago.

How does that compare to other rates where you are at. You dont have to be exact, I am just curious how they compare.

9. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Hey all, just poking my head in to say HI!

Man oh man you said a mouth full there. But its not just trucks, trailers too. My little mishap with the trailer got me 3 weeks off LOL. I been back to work one week, and one day by now. Thank goodness it didnt take any longer than that, as I was getting my butt handed to me with all the yard work at the house.:biggrin_25523:

Heard today that one of the concrete truck outfits down on 29th and Ohio area had 21 batteries stolen last night. Another place had a live transformer stolen (same area) stole same night. Apparently it was pretty big, and what ever they used to haul it off with failed, and it ended up in the street.

I am glad to have working AC...

10. Big John

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    We may have to start putting pad locks on our battery boxes and everything else. I guess when you cut the rate and haul below cost you need to get your parts for free to keeping trucking.

11. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Kinda hard to compare with them hauling that much. I'm thinking it would be cheaper down here...but there has been a lot of rate cutting.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.