Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    The 30 cents for 240 miles isn't very good. The 14 miles isn't too bad...depends on how much they expect you to haul. If they are having trouble getting trucks then the rate should be higher. You were right to be leary.

Red T-600 with Hall Trucking on side. There's many red T-600's in town. I think I'm the only one with electric tarp on Timpte trailer. I've been hauling mainly to Cargill and that may be ending with harvest winding down here. Like I said earlier been hauling from Chase last four days don't know how many days are left there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cowdoc

cowdoc Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2008
    walnut ridge, ar
    WH there's a guy in last week's Delta Farm Press advertising new aluminum Timptes for $27000. What's up with that?

4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I don't know sounds pretty cheap. It's probably spring suspension but still not a bad price. Either that or made mistake on price in magazine.

5. cowdoc

cowdoc Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2008
    walnut ridge, ar
    It's Crossroads of the South. I went to their website and they've got several listed but no prices.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  6. HwyPilot

HwyPilot Medium Load Member

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    Assuming it's 60lbs/bu (I may be off - that's a guess) and you can haul 50k, that'd be near $1/mi - sounds like a waste of time to me. Personally, I think the only way some of these rates can be run is to pull heavy (illegal) and tear your equipment to pieces......

I hauled wheat to get me to a load of lamb meal on Monday, and it paid .50/bu for 202 miles. Wasn't a bad load, but the lamb meal was a disaster. I won't go into details because I just knew better, I'd been there back in February - different building, different scales, same crap as before. Nothing like an 1,100 mile "backhaul" to get me to a good paying load. Leaves me feeling like I wasted half a week!

7. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    Ill be heading down there in the morning in a black t600 tandem and a merritt pup, coming down hwy 50, too bad about the elevator in russell, and those trailers are probably 30 foot single hoppers

8. cowdoc

cowdoc Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2008
    walnut ridge, ar
    They ran the ad again this week. 2011 models aluminum,40 and 42 ft., $27000 including FET, FOB David City, NE. Spring ride, ladders, radial rubber, Shur-LOK tarps, Steel wheels. I knew the springs were cheaper but I didn't know they were that much cheaper. We've got all air ride. I do pull 1 spring Timpte in La.

9. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
  10. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Won't talk about lamb meal sounded bad. 56 lbs for a bushel of corn. Still would be a cheap load.

Well, hauled one load today shut us down for a while. On the way back with load turbo started acting up. Made it to Cargill but the turbo bearings are loose so I need to get a new turbo...not what I wanted to do. So Cluck Cluck may not see you but will wave or give a shout if I do. Hopefully doesn't take too long to get the turbo and put it on. That's going to take a big chunk of my harvest money I made.

Yeah, bad deal with that elevator falling down. Driver was really lucky he wasn't killed.

You have to pick it up in Nebraska or it would be a lot more with freight added. Steel wheels and spring ride would also knock price down. Still not a bad price.

Big John Thanks this.
  11. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    I did a google search for Russell, KS grain elevator accident and read about it, that's really horrible, 2 young guys get killed that are just starting out in life. I didn't see where it said anywhere, was it an overhead concrete silo or steel bin? I wonder how old?

Sorry to hear about your turbo, WH. That's the way it is, you make some money and your truck decides it wants it.....

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    dairyman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.