Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Don't really know unless it was split loads. Maybe hauling two different commodities. Either that or it's time again for your eye test.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. highside

highside Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Kansas
    One of those tarps is the regular tarp that we all have, and the other one is known as an "EPA Tarp." It is just like a regular tarp, but it has two holes, one over each hopper. It's for loading limestone and calcium. When you load those kinds of commodities, it's like squeezing a bottle of baby powder. Ultra fine dust goes EVERYWHERE. So, what you do is roll your EPA tarp over, the loader lowers his loading tube into the hole, and you get loaded without fine dust going everywhere. Calcium and limestone is so heavy that you'll never even get close to filling a hopper, so seeing how full the hopper is getting isn't an issue. I had the chance to bid on 2 weekly loads from Cleburne, TX to the northern TX panhandle. It would have been a sweet deal, except it would have required I had 2 weekly loads down to DFW from Wichita every week to get me down there, and I would have had to equip 2 of my trailers with EPA tarps, because the shipper wouldn't load me if I didn't have one. It just wasn't going to be worth the hassle, so I turned it down.

4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Good post highside. I've heard of EPA tarps but didn't know about having two tarps with it.

highside Thanks this.
  5. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Anyone have or have seen a hopper with air cylinders to open the gates? I've seen hydraulic motors on the passenger side of the shaft, the overpriced/slow electric openers but I haven't seen any with air. I owned a bottom dump gravel trailer which was air so I know they're more than capable, just didn't know if anyone had them.

6. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Went to haul today at Pollard and the elevator was broke down. Dispatcher didn't want to find anything in its place. Found another load nearby with another grain company no thanks to Cargill.

7. highside

highside Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Kansas
    That's nice. Bounce you all the way out there and then leave you hanging. I wonder how well he would have taken it if you committed to loads and then just not show up? Gotta love those merchandisers. They are the definition of two-faced.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  8. HwyPilot

HwyPilot Medium Load Member

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    Most of the time with EPA traps on a tarp, they're just covered with a triangle shaped flap and secured by a rope. Two different tarp handles is a setup I haven't seen yet either.

Always wondered how much fun it would be to try and position under a fixed chute with nothing more than a 10" opening to shoot for.....

9. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    If you want to reply to any of the PM's that you get, you can forward them to any staff member and have them forward it to the person you want to reply to.

Welcome aboard.

WH,

We've hauled out of Pollard before. They were broke down that time too, and the place is located so that you don't get cell service, unless you walk a couple blocks to even get a signal.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  10. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Man it's hot here. 110 counting the heat index. Oh yes, the fun part the stupid mosquitos decided it was time to come out and eat us. Some of them are on steriods biggest dang things I've seen in a while.

11. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    They might have well have been broke down today. Getting last of wheat out and taking around 25-30 minutes to load a truck. The loader would disappear after starting the loading and just get back to tell you to move. On the last pile I didn't think he was going to get back before the grain spilled out of trailer. Kinda weird not seeing a loader as you're loading up.

You're right the cell phone reception isn't the greatest.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.