Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    My starter/selenoid started acting up today while hauling beans to Owensboro, so i'll be putting a new(re-man) on the 'ol girl 1st thing monday morning($239.50 in the hole):biggrin_25521:.I love kicking off the week with truck repairs,seems like when i start off the week with breakdowns,it just ends up being breakdowns all week long:biggrin_25513:. Well,at least it got me home and i ain't brokedown out on the road,it could be worse:biggrin_25525:

Cowdoc,sorry to hear the bad news about a fellow grain-hauler,what happened to him?

R.W.,try looking up Fastline.com,MachineFinder.com, TractorHouse.com,or Ironsearch.com.You might find those belted conveyers listed under truck or hopper augers/conveyers. ''DA'' is short for 'displaced abomasum', its when one of the cows 4 stomachs gets twisted :biggrin_25525:, cowdoc can probably explain it better than i can though.

Wheathauler,i wonder how high this corn price has to go before the ethanol boys become break-even or un-profitable,my grain broker at Debruce said $6 corn was just about breakeven. What have you heard?

RW. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cowdoc

cowdoc Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2008
    walnut ridge, ar
    Dairyman he was loaded with beans headed for Caruthersville. He was apparently passing a 4 wheeler dropped left steer off pavement left side came all the way back across the highway and off the right side. Conflicting stories other than that. I saw him on the road all the time. Really hits home.
    DA or displaced abomasum is a twist of the 4th or true stomach. Can be a left or right twist. For some reason very predominately a dairy cow problem. Rarely seen in beef cows. Cow must be rolled and the stomach tacked( sutured) in place blind. Or the cow is opened up and the stomach is flipped back straight then tacked ahead of the udder.
    I hauled 1 bin of dry rice to make room. Milling is low and damage is high. That's the word pretty much across Ark. rice country.

RW. and dairyman Thank this.
  4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Don't really know. I know they cut back when the prices get higher. The one I go to uses mainly milo but it has gone up too.

dairyman Thanks this.
  5. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    See a lot of piles of Milo around western Kansas. Goodland, KS had big piles of grain on the ground.

dairyman and wheathauler Thank this.
  6. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    Thanks cowdoc and dairyman, I'd never heard of a DA, and now I don't feel quite as dumb since you mentioned it is rare in beef cows.

7. crop jocky

crop jocky Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    So the DA didnt make you feal like such a DA lol sorry couldnt resist lol.:biggrin_255:

8. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    Yeah, that's another way to put it! :biggrin_2559:

9. RAG

RAG R.I.P.

Nov 23, 2007
    Tonga

RW
    Don't feel like the Loan Ranger
    I was clueless
    But I'm that way most of the time:biggrin_25525:

10. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    I've grown up around beef cows, I thought I should have known better. But we've never had that happen as far as I can remember.

11. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    We have never had a DA in a beef cow either,R.W.,i think it's from too much grain and not enough long stem hay and forage in the dairy cows diet early in their lactation. Did you find any hopper conveyers yet?

Fuel was back down to $2.99 today,Wheathauler.I'm still staying busy hauling beans here,i think i will get caught up this week,maybe. Dry,Dry,Dry,folks are having to start hauling water to the cows all around central Ky.,the ponds are just drying up,it is starting to get dangerously dry around my neck of the woods:biggrin_25513:

Hope Everyone has a safe and profitable week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.