Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    UGH, sorry to here that, man. Yep, these trucks eat money like candy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1988pete379

1988pete379 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North East TX
    Did learn something about used Ryder tucks.If you buy one Make sure they drain tranny and rear ends, I figured that # 500,000 they would do that . Come to find out they do not .Amazing ain't You live and learn. I worked for them from 1978 to 1986 and we drained all the boxes at 192,000 and changed oil and filter # 16,000 now they do not drain boxes and oil & filteris cahnged @30,000 ###### guess I am wasting oil I am changing every 12,000 Guess I am old fashion but I do take a mid stream sample(oil) not the other LOL, and send it off

4. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Everyone is trying to save money and when these fleets and rental places are going to get rid of their trucks between 400 and 500k they try to do as little as possible. I tell anyone buying used no matter what the mileage is drain everything and pull a oil sample. I don't trust anyone when it comes to buying a used truck.

5. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I've been getting some strange load offers. Anyone ever hauled hominy? Comes out of Atchinson, ks.

6. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    No, but I've tasted it. Mleh.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  7. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Thats a new one on me, I'd worry about it coming out. Is it dried out? Weird. LOL

wheathauler Thanks this.
  8. highside

highside Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Kansas
    I could be totally wrong on this, but if it's coming out of Atchison, it very well could be coming from the ethanol plant up there. Could just be another name for DDG.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  9. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I have hauled out of ADM in Illinois going to some dairy's in Texas. It is kind a like midds it is just fluffy ground up corn I guess. It comes out easy when it is dry. I loaded it one time in the winter and had to get my end dump washed out before loading, so I get it washed pull out and the water freezes to the floor and sides (I am in Chicago like 10 degrees out) during the 150 mile deadhead get down to load and the hominy is warm coming out and melts the ice. When I get down to unload on Monday everything dumps out except about 6 inches on the bottom and some hanging on the sides. I hate shoveling but I learned from my mistakes. WH you shouldn't have any problem with it in a hopper.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  10. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Thanks. I had no idea what it was. Broker said paid around $2.10 a loaded mile. I have noticed on load boards there are a lot of loads out of Atchinson. As Highside noted there's an ethanol plant there for DDG. I'm not sure what else would be going out of there. It would be a long ways from me unless took a load to KC, there always seems to be grain going there.

11. HwyPilot

HwyPilot Medium Load Member

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    Both - I've hauled hominy out of Atchinson, KS :) whatcha need to know?

It didn't pay much, had to wait 6 hours to load the truck, and when their loading scale is frozen up (in February) it's heck to make your way around back to their scalehouse. Oh yeah, and the stop button in the bay tends to let run for another 3 min or 2000 pounds after you hit it LOL

Yeah I had a fun night there once - let me know if I need to dig out my notes on that load, and best to ya!

wheathauler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.